Goodridge brake hose kit

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Goodridge brake hose kit

Post by Navy Lifer »

The topic is only somewhat self-explanatory--I had never researched this directly, for some reason, even though I suspect the information has "been there" for at least a little while.

Goodridge does offer a hose kit, listed as specifically for the 2011 PPV, under PN 12232, which should be available from multiple sources.

I learned this after making an inquiry to Goodridge as part of a past discussion about brake hoses for the SS Performance Sedan--click here > http://www.ssforums.com/forum/1371802-post10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't resolve anything directly for owners of newer PPV's (at least according to Goodridge, saying 2011 was unique)--further my point in contacting Goodridge was to get some idea whether they had any intention of creating fitments for the multiple variants of the Zeta (sedan) platform--with some hope of understanding that within that mix there would be the possibility of a kit that would effectively support those of us doing "upgrade" of the brakes with Brembo calipers (on the PPV).

Fingers crossed, more to come as it develops.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Goodridge brake hose kit

Post by CrashTestDummy »

So are you looking for something specifically-listed as fitting 2012+ Caprices/SSs, etc., avoiding ordering hundreds of dollars of lines to 'see' if they'll work, or is there another problem you are trying to resolve?

That's about all I got from the link, that there's nothing specifically-listed. We had similar issues with our Dakota R/T, and while Goodridge was about the only company that even listed lines for many late-90's Dodge trucks, the set I got was for a Durango. They fit fine, even though they were listed for the Durango. I ordered them from Pegasus Racing.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

As you & others know, I spend lots of time thinking about stuff--brakes is one area I've researched and done things that no one else typically has considered, especially for "lowly" cop cars and previously the lesser B-body vehicles, like Fleetwood, Roadmaster, and wagons. I guess you can say that brakes are a passion of mine.

My goal is to do what I can to keep the PPV from being overlooked, first & foremost. The G8 GXP and SS Sedan get the "good" stuff as far as OE brakes (bigger rotors, multi-piston calipers, etc), but every bit of it will bolt on to the WM/WN platform. I will say that it's not a stretch to claim that the PPV brakes are a step above what happened with the old B-body, and compared to G8 GT, there is no doubt PPV has a superior brake package, regardless of it having single-piston calipers on all corners.

The problem is knowing that there is a correct/validated aftermarket "high performance" hose package that completes the process. Since Goodridge acknowledges that they developed a Caprice PPV kit, I took the opportunity to present the entire issue, including validating kits that would cross over - the one common thing with VE/VF & WM/WN is that they're all 4-wheel disc systems. Each variant is a mix of different rotors, calipers and pads, beyond that one commonality. If you look up OE brake hoses (which I've not really researched) it is likely that there will be almost as many different hose PN's as there are vehicle variants.

So, it becomes a matter of waiting, but after this long, I'm OK with that--the idea is, whether Goodridge will list their kits this way or not, to be able to say "if you're doing this to your (Zeta sedan) brakes, Kit XXX is the best/correct one to use with (the specific rotor/caliper package)".

I'm just pleased that they responded and actually showed some awareness & knowledge about the Zeta sedan--and their recognition that it needs a filled-out application list that will end up satisfying every possible need. Too many people have been using the G8 GT kit and "making" it work--if it's good as is, I just want Goodridge to say so. If they want to produce a new kit to recommend instead, that's their call, and I would follow their advice--put another way, I am in NO WAY criticizing anyone who has done a bigger brake package using the 12289 G8 GT kit. I'm glad to know that it worked, but my question remains--is it correct? Goodridge will address this at some point.
56nomad

Post by 56nomad »

As usual, I am confused. The Goodridge website does not seem to have a current application guide for U.S. cars. I did find what looks like an older guide (10-15 years old judging by the vehicles covered), and it shows 12232 as fitting the 95 Monte Carlo with rear discs. I'm sure they could have redone all their part nos., but the only usage of that part no. for PPVs that I have found so far is from retailers. Is there a current application guide that I didn't find?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Jim, all I can tell you is what I was told - beyond that, I haven't searched the Internet to find it in the Goodridge cataolg or any online store(s) - so I'm only passing along information provided to me from someone at Goodridge. I'll inquire about availability of the kit.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Bill,

Thanks for the explanation. I don't know the history of these cars, but am learning, and the comments above help. I do plan to do the CTS-V brake update, as soon as I work through my stack-O-parts(TM), and now that the recalls are done on my car, I can start that.

I do believe it took me some time, and several queries to determine that the Goodridge hoses 'should' work on our R/T, but yes, I did play guinea pig on that, by ordering a set. They fit fine, and since I don't have a Durango to compare things to will assume they fit the same as they do on the Durango.

They're a nice set of hoses, and fixed my hose delamination issue. I wouldn't hesitate to use Goodridges again. And as far as availability; I could find a set nowhere in this country. I had to order them from a Vendor, who had them made and shipped from the Goodridge factory in GB. It only took about a week-and-a-half to get them, though.

Do you know what the difference is between the 2011 hose set and the later models yet?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Do you know what the difference is between the 2011 hose set and the later models yet?
No idea what, if any, difference--only what the Goodridge guy told me, that either they knew something WAS different, or that they haven't actually checked. It should be easy enough to check/compare OE PN's for the stock hoses between model years to see if there's a difference--or that they may be the same.

I'll make a phone call tomorrow to get an answer to that last question.....
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Checking the GM part numbers, they all seem to be the same, 2011-2013, at least, front and back.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Here's the salient part of the post I got from Goodridge:

"We created a kit for the 2011 Caprice PPV (kit 12232) that is different from the G8 kit (12289), and really only worked that first year Caprice. We added the next generation of the Caprice PPV to the development list and waited to make sure any kits for this model also worked on the new SS personal vehicles,...." - no indication of what year this happened, but it sounds like it was before the SS sedan came on scene, in late 2013.

I'm not going to assume the boys from Goodridge are blowing smoke here--how they do validation should be pretty easy/simple, and start with the OE parts as a baseline. So, with the finding that 2011-2013 OE PPV hoses are the same, it's going to be hard to argue that the 2011 G-Stop kit won't work on all WM cars, knowing that the rest of the brake system has not changed. After 2013 there was the platform re-engineering effort, so VF/WN hoses/brackets may well be different.

I do have a request in to a vendor about availability and cost of the 12232 G-Stop hose kit, but it should be available from any source that can provide Goodridge products.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

So would those hoses be the ones you would use to upgrade the brake hoses when you install the 'cheap CTSV brake upgrade' on these cars, or is it better to use CTSV hoses, since the banjo bolt is a different size on the calipers?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?