Goodridge brake hose kit

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Goodridge brake hose kit

Post by Navy Lifer »

CrashTestDummy wrote:So would those hoses be the ones you would use to upgrade the brake hoses when you install the 'cheap CTSV brake upgrade' on these cars, or is it better to use CTSV hoses, since the banjo bolt is a different size on the calipers?
Gene, I assume you're referring to the CTS J55 front brakes I made reference to--beginning here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=568&start=60#p8871" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. CTS J55 - not CTSV - V calipers are Brembo, J55 is not Brembo, and the J55 calipers fit (on CTS) using the same OE rotors found on PPV--different OE PN/price, but aftermarket recognizes the rotor as common application.

2. Not sure where the banjo bolt size was mentioned--my recent observations are that almost all GM calipers, since brake system "metrification", now 30 years or so in the past, use 10mm, but the threads will differ by material, with aluminum calipers being M10x1.0 and iron calipers being M10x1.5--banjo size can be the same, unrelated to thread pitch.

3. As far as using CTSV hoses on Zeta sedan (incl PPV)--no--there are hoses from G8 GxP & SS for PPV Brembo conversions, and it's not clear yet what OE hoses will work (if any) on the CTS J55 calipers mounted to PPV. Brembo caliper front hoses for Zeta sedans mount to the lower boss on 4-piston front calipers, where Camaro SS mounts them at the top of what is essentially the same caliper.

A bit of mystery & discussion, read here (with pictures):
http://www.ssforums.com/forum/wheels-ti ... ipers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

I put stainless braided hoses on my Caprice with CTS-V calipers already. I ordered a set for the G8 GXP from Russell and there are absolutely no issues.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Bill, I was calling the 1st-Gen CTS-V caliper brake setup the 'cheap CTS-V upgrade', since just about everything can be had for less than a grand. It looks like the 1st Gen CTS-V calipers use the same 12.5mm banjo bolt as the PPV?

(Sorry, I've had something knock me flat on my back these last few days, and I'm just now getting vertical, after spending two days in bed, so I may be just confusing thing more, and don't realize it).
Navy Lifer wrote:
CrashTestDummy wrote:So would those hoses be the ones you would use to upgrade the brake hoses when you install the 'cheap CTSV brake upgrade' on these cars, or is it better to use CTSV hoses, since the banjo bolt is a different size on the calipers?
Gene, I assume you're referring to the CTS J55 front brakes I made reference to--beginning here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=568&start=60#p8871" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. CTS J55 - not CTSV - V calipers are Brembo, J55 is not Brembo, and the J55 calipers fit (on CTS) using the same OE rotors found on PPV--different OE PN/price, but aftermarket recognizes the rotor as common application.

2. Not sure where the banjo bolt size was mentioned--my recent observations are that almost all GM calipers, since brake system "metrification", now 30 years or so in the past, use 10mm, but the threads will differ by material, with aluminum calipers being M10x1.0 and iron calipers being M10x1.5--banjo size can be the same, unrelated to thread pitch.

3. As far as using CTSV hoses on Zeta sedan (incl PPV)--no--there are hoses from G8 GxP & SS for PPV Brembo conversions, and it's not clear yet what OE hoses will work (if any) on the CTS J55 calipers mounted to PPV. Brembo caliper front hoses for Zeta sedans mount to the lower boss on 4-piston front calipers, where Camaro SS mounts them at the top of what is essentially the same caliper.

A bit of mystery & discussion, read here (with pictures):
http://www.ssforums.com/forum/wheels-ti ... ipers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

The CTS-V calipers do not use the same banjo bolt as the PPV.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Gene, thanks for clarifying--here's what I can say about the hose configurations that we could be working with on PPV:

1. Goodridge already has a kit for the standard PPV, PN12232. This kit SHOULD fit everything from 2011>2016, since research indicates the OE hoses are the same across all 6 model years.

2. 2014 SS has the same rear PBR single-piston rear brakes as Caprice PPV, and the OE rear hoses for 2014 SS are the same PN as used on 2011-2016 PPV.

3. 2015 SS has full-Brembo caliper fitment, and the rear hoses for 2015 & newer SS are unique to that variant.

From this information, I extrapolate the following:

- Fitting Brembo calipers to PPV should be doable with either OE hoses from the appropriate model year SS, or the correct Goodridge kit, once released

- The rear hoses in the Goodridge 12232 kit will be the same as that for a future 2014 SS kit

- For anyone doing a Brembo caliper installation on PPV, the correct 4-piston front caliper to use is going to come from 1st gen CTS-V, G8 GXP, or 2014>newer SS sedan, with the hose connection at the LOWER end of the caliper in it's mounted position, and the same is true if mounting a 6-piston CTS/ZL1 front caliper

NOTE: if using CTS-V or GXP front calipers, I recommend re-tapping the mounting ear threads from M12x1.75 to M14x2.0--the SS sedan front calipers and ZL1 6-piston calipers are already M14 spec.

I'll be updating Goodridge with my findings--the net take-away is that the complete spectrum of applications for Zeta sedans & the possible brake combinations could be covered by only 2 additional kits. I'm taking a leap of faith that the SS front hose brackets are not so different that they will also work on PPV.

-PPV 12232 kit, already created

-2014 SS kit (Brembo front/PBR rear) may also work for G8 GXP & PPV with front-only Brembo configuration/conversion

-2015+ SS kit (Brembo front/rear) may also work for GXP rear Brembo upgrade & PPV full-Brembo conversion

Considering that the Goodridge product list is typically built around "production configuration", it isn't likely that the alternate GXP or PPV Brembo configurations discussed above will be found on their kit list. Pending validation, an issue with the GXP, at least, will be that there were some bracket changes that may not translate 100% between the VE & VF platform hose configurations. This COULD end up being an issue with the PPV/Brembo front setup, too, but we'll just have to wait & see. The end result is that it could grow the number of kit versions by at least one, to serve the OE configured GXP.