Making Z06 wheels fit!!!!

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
S13REMI

Making Z06 wheels fit!!!!

Post by S13REMI »

So a lot of people have been asking about it and its slow sunday at work... So here we go. I was able to snap some pictures while I had the car on the lift the other day.

The biggest thing is the rear lower control arm. As you lower the car and straighten the rear lower control arm it starts to creat a low point where the factory coilover mount is. This ended being my biggest hurdle. The barrell of the wheel comes so far in to the wheel well that the lower control arm actually ended up just sitting on the barrel of the wheel, obviously making the car un drivable. I ran in to clearance issues in other places but nothing like this. I tried grinding and grinding but the lower control arm just kept hitting and scrapping the wheel (I have a nice ring of missing powdercoat on the inside of both rear wheels).
What I ended up having to do was move the mounting point of the rear shock assembly further in to the center of the car. I then cut and sectioned the lower control arm to make room for the wheel. Then went back over it boxed in the opeing and welded extra support plats on the out side for added strength. My only concern is how the spring sits on the upper perch, but it hasnt provided and issues yet. I temporilaly ditched the rear sway bar till I can make or purchase new end links that clear my coilovers. Heres a few photos so you can get an idea of what I did and where it rubs. Keep in mind this was all done in one weekend to get ready for a 1500 mile round trip to ocean city for a car show. I drover the car the whole way there and back no issues, with lots of fun aggressive driving through the mountains.
Intial mock up to make sure every thing clears. that other hole raised the car to much and I couldnt get it to go low enough.

Unpainted so you can see the final product.

this is the side that rubbed the most (passanger side), i was initially concerned about it rubbing on the fuel filler kneck but no problems there
A little alignment wear lol (about 3/32's on the out side and well none on the inside edge) I ran the car at about negative 2 degress of camber. My alignment tech was able to get the toe back in spec too.
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Making Z06 wheels fit!!!!

Post by Navy Lifer »

Oh MY....!!!!!

How much suspension travel remains?

What is the ride like?

Picture of the two tires in back seat--is that both the rears, or a F/R pair? Pass. side looks smaller is why I ask.

To be sure I'm understanding....the fronts are 18 x 9.5, rears are 19 x what (12?)?

What is rear wheel offset, if you happen to know?

Are you using a hub-centering ring on the wheels, or just relying on the lug nuts/studs to center them?

Can you estimate the pre/post mod difference in rear height--ie. what was distance from top of rear wheel arch on body to ground - stock and now?
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

about a few inches of travel in suspension. the 19x12's are little wide so they end hitting before full travel.

car rides pretty nice, handles geat with that much rubber underneath it.
I have noticed the rear end bump steers pretty bad on big bumps. I havent figured out the exact cause of this, but research is pointing toward mushy rear subframe bushings.

Both of those are rear wheels. 30/30/19's

front are 18x9.5 and rears are 19x12 +54 (or maybe 52 but whats 2mm)

i have a small 5mil slip on spacer on the rear just to pull the wheels as far from the inner fenders as i can. This year id like to install extended studs and run a 10 mil spacer to alleviate all that rubbing i have. That or go to town with a hammer, cutting wheel and welder....

I just rely on the lug nuts to center the wheels. cars been up to 150 several times and always very smooth and planted feeling

I think i have roughly a 4-5 drop in the car. The front tires are actually 1.5" shorter O.D than the factory size. Rears are about a 1/4" shorter than stock.
If youd like i can grab a measurement off my car and compare it to yours?
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Sure, post the measurements on your car--we'll get some different responses depending on tire sizes others are using.

As for the rear wheels, if these are equivalent in sizing, the offset for the rear wheel is +59

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/Whe ... s-Gunmetal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

yeah that looks about right Bill. so with the 5 mil spacer the effective off set is a +54. Ill grab some measurements tomorrow morning.
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

both front and rear at 25" to highest point on the wheel well arch.
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

It looks good to me . Just a little bit to low for my chubby behind lol but it definitely looks good .
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

navy lifer you gonna get back to us with the height of the factor wheel arches
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

my car isn't "exactly" stock height any longer, but close, due to wheel/tire change (shorter tires by 0.15" radially)

Front & Rear - approximately 29" from ground through wheel centerline to top of wheel arch on body

Some additional owner input might be good to have to see if my numbers are in the range of "normal".
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

I'd still like to hear some input from the stock guys to see wheel arch heights are? Also since this is the closest thing to a build thread I have. I'm starting to get ready for spring picked theSe up today...... Gonna really push the envelope this year....... 325/30/19's