Making Z06 wheels fit!!!!

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
xcidmigs

Re: Making Z06 wheels fit!!!!

Post by xcidmigs »

Navy Lifer wrote:Bar:

There are a few other essentials--the correct clamps, bushings & fasteners where the bar is attached to the rear cradle--use the parts identified as 2015 w/ride control.
Why the use of the sway bar that is listed as w/ ride control? Those shocks are not what we are talking about using on the PPV right? Also of course they are much more expensive overall vs the sway bar parts listed as W/O that/?

Also curious about why the camaro arms would raise the rear end? That kit is listed as the upgrade to 1LE parts as opposed to just being the 2015 redesign? is there any other options there?

I would like to know if its going to upset the rear alignment to install just the arms and the sway bar?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I've read a bit more and looked at various aftermarket sites like BMR. would seem like the control arms should be interchangeable, however oddly GM doesn't use the same on each platform, the Camaro version is now listed as this for all years, not sure what the reason is but its same L/R unlike the SS car or OEM PPV versions which is separate part numbers and 5 times the cost.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... ition=left" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also clearly install requires alignment and you would be right in with the rear springs and shocks at the same time so now I'm considering adding the arms to my spring/shock swap.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

I was able to catch a 2015 1LE on lift this weekend. It looks like the lower control arms have provisions for both narrow and wide sway bars. Note the inboard tab. Did GM produce one sway bar for multiple platforms? I included a picture from my rear sway bar install a couple of years ago.

Regards,

Maurice
Attachments
1LE Right side with outer attachment point.jpg
1LE Right side with outer attachment point.jpg (199.77 KiB) Viewed 9965 times
15mm%20wrench%20and%20a%20#30%20Torx.jpg
15mm%20wrench%20and%20a%20#30%20Torx.jpg (351.87 KiB) Viewed 9965 times
1LE Left side with outer attacment point used.jpg
1LE Left side with outer attacment point used.jpg (213.53 KiB) Viewed 9965 times
1LE Right side with two attachment points.jpg
1LE Right side with two attachment points.jpg (195.46 KiB) Viewed 9965 times
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

:o :o :o OMG I LOVE YOU MAN.....

Thats a great bunch of pics to reference this concept... I will be adding those 15 arms to my spring/strut order and then i can consider the sway bar upgrade later on when i do the brakes....
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

xcidmigs wrote:
Navy Lifer wrote:Bar:

There are a few other essentials--the correct clamps, bushings & fasteners where the bar is attached to the rear cradle--use the parts identified as 2015 w/ride control.
Why the use of the sway bar that is listed as w/ ride control? Those shocks are not what we are talking about using on the PPV right? Also of course they are much more expensive overall vs the sway bar parts listed as W/O that/?

Also curious about why the camaro arms would raise the rear end? That kit is listed as the upgrade to 1LE parts as opposed to just being the 2015 redesign? is there any other options there?

I would like to know if its going to upset the rear alignment to install just the arms and the sway bar?
The specific "wide" rear bar, with the Camaro 1LE-style end links, was first used on sedans for the 2015 SS, which has MRC & rear Brembo brakes. The SS parts listings seem to combine both US/Chevy SS and Australian/Holden Commodore parts data in quite a number of areas, and this happens to be one of them--thus the listing of vehicles with ride control or without, ie. the Holden version--it still uses the 2014 SS style rear bar, I believe. To be clear--using the 2015 SS rear bar on a PPV requires either the SS rear lower control arms, the Camaro upgrade kit, or an aftermarket arm, such as BMR offers, as do others. I do know that the BMR RLCA has been updated to provide fitment for this later sway bar design.

The Camaro rear arms, as measured, sitting side-by-side with a PPV rear arms, showed that the hole for the lower shock mount is not in exactly the same position height-wise, and is slightly higher than the same hole on the PPV control arm, which would raise the car by some proportional amount (on the same vehicle), as springs/shocks are not vertical--a PPV, for example, with no other changes such as lowering springs installed at the same time should sit slightly higher if the Camaro arms are used.

My data collection at the time wasn't precise enough to say how much difference in the hole position on the two different control arms, and as far as whether I'm actually correct or not, the only way to find out is to try a set of the Camaro arms on a PPV to see if they fit and if there's any significant change to ride height with the same springs.

As for cost, service kits are typically very inexpensive--remember that the 2015 SS rear control arms are sourced from Australia, where the Camaro service kit arms are domestic, AFAIK--that alone will impact price.

As for the same arm used on both sides on Camaro, and the left & right PN's for SS arms, the direction that the inboard bushing faces as installed (I know this sounds crazy) is what makes for the left & right arms on the SS, and the bushing design for SS and Camaro is significantly different (I need to take some photos and post)--you can look it up yourself in the maintenance procedures for changing SS rear LCA bushings (same bushing PN both sides) and it's just a matter of which direction it faces when installed in the vehicle to determine which is L or R.

quote="xcidmigs"]I've read a bit more and looked at various aftermarket sites like BMR. would seem like the control arms should be interchangeable, however oddly GM doesn't use the same on each platform, the Camaro version is now listed as this for all years, not sure what the reason is but its same L/R unlike the SS car or OEM PPV versions which is separate part numbers and 5 times the cost.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/ ... ition=left" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also clearly install requires alignment and you would be right in with the rear springs and shocks at the same time so now I'm considering adding the arms to my spring/shock swap.[/quote]

The PPV rear arms, no matter the year, do not have the provision for the wide sway bar. You CAN fit the 2014 SS bar to a PPV, but that really calls for the correct 2014 SS rear arms, which have a special reinforced bracket for end links, since the rear bar for 2014 was 28mm (2015 is about 25mm).

As to how the aftermarket can declare a "generic" rear LCA to be universal-fit, where the OEM has specific parts identified for each application is nothing new.

There's more to explore, and I have more to reveal, but at this point I can't do much more than tease that fact....I'm traveling and won't be back "home" for a few more weeks, then we'll see what I can bring to the table.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Have you worked on this ^^^^^ plan any more? I'm thinking of changing out the springs and arms this week myself.