Interesting thread over on the G8 Board

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
elc32955
System Manager

Interesting thread over on the G8 Board

Post by elc32955 »

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthrea ... ost1165554

They're saying PPV brakes = Camaro V6 fronts with larger (13.5 inch) rotors & more aggressive pads, G8 rear brakes....
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Interesting thread over on the G8 Board

Post by Navy Lifer »

All true....I've been lagging on my (intended) initial brake discussion topic.

Eric, is this discussion taking place in G8 land because those guys want to look at a larger diameter rotor setup for G8 GT without the expense of going to the GXP Brembo package?

Fleets like single-piston disc brakes - cheap, simple, and works well--curious how that changes if a Camaro front pad is used (to cut down on front dusting). The FMSI pad spec for PPV front is D1404 (Camaro LS/LT also), rear is D1337.

The larger front rotor is also used on a Cadillac CTS (not V) model - 345mm diameter, for the most recent body variant (from 2008 > 2013).

Example of the large rotor is ACDelco 18A2652 (Durastop), which shows common use between 2010 - 2012 CTS with RPO J55 (heavy duty) brakes, and 2011-2012 PPV - but CTS uses a twin-piston aluminum caliper and different pads, where PPV uses the single-piston caliper and pads mentioned above.

Bigger & better stuff will come in time.....plenty of stuff already from G8 that transfers directly, but there will be further developments, I believe.

Search PPV on Rock Auto and look at all the brake rotor & pad info there.

Aftermarket considers rear rotors (324mm) to be common between PPV, G8 GT, and G8 GXP, even though OE part numbers are different.

I'm also reaching out to my contact at DBA (Disc Brakes Australia) to inquire about coverage for PPV (for rotors)--currently there is nothing available that I can see, but it should be a no-brainer. Could be a production volume issue.

http://www.dbausa.com/products/police-pursuit-series-2/
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Interesting thread over on the G8 Board

Post by elc32955 »

Actually the discussion started just as someone running into a PPV having some work done and taking pictures of the brake setup. No discussion on how to upgrade to Brembos or anything like that... I just ran into it doing a search for "Caprice".... Completely happenstance.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.