Stabilitrak question

Suspension, brake, and hydraulic/electric steering discussion.
Jaked1985

Stabilitrak question

Post by Jaked1985 »

So, I picked up my '11 last weekend and am starting to work my way through some of its quirks.
Typical suspension noise, sounds like strut bushings on the front and rear passenger side.
One thing though I haven't been able to nail down yet is that when driving through town, or on the highway, I will occasionally see the "stabilitrak system control" pop up on the dic in the instrument panel. It shows up and is gone within a second. Seems to happen on rough surfaces, could this be an abs sensor, strut problem?
s/c'd cav

Re: Stabilitrak question

Post by s/c'd cav »

rough road seams to say suspension issue more than a abs sensor
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

is the check engine light on or are there engine codes?
Jaked1985

Post by Jaked1985 »

Yeah, there is a code right now for the oil pressure sensor. PO521 if I remember right. I haven't got around to messing with it, I'm assuming it's either the sender or the screen underneath it. Torque app shows 33lbs of oil pressure at operating temp.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

You might need to find a high end scanner that can read current and historical ABS and BCM codes. Best would be a Tech 2 but you could try a BlueTooth OBD adapter with the Car Gauge Pro app on Android.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

you might want to focus on the engine codes first, if the check engine light comes on it will in most cases disable stabilitrak, Stabilitrak can only function when the engine is running correctly
Jaked1985

Post by Jaked1985 »

Thanks for the input guys. I was able to pull the current and historic codes. Nothing related to the stabilitrak, abs or speed sensor.

I'll figure out what I need to do to get rid of the oil pressure sensor code and go from there.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

You might have try and get codes after it happens. I once had an intermittent Stabilitrak code in my truck and I could only get it only after it happened and kept it running to not lose it. Turning off the ignition would reset it each time.
Jaked1985

Post by Jaked1985 »

I'll keep that in mind, I've been driving the car about 60 miles a day for the last week and I haven't seen the message pop up since the first day. I have my bluetooth scanner plugged in, so I can check the codes on the fly as well as log data. I haven't really figured everything out yet as far as it's functions. I bought it specifically for this car and it's proven to be the best $20 I've spent in a long time. Lol
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

If you're just using Torque, it won't get any ABS or BCM codes. The only one that I know of is Car Gauge Pro that is able to do those.