New Caprice - Discussion forums

The worldwide owner-to-owner online support system for the Chevrolet Caprice PPV
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:30 pm 

Front end clunk on short sharp bumps or even hard quick on-off brake application (especially at lower speeds) in 2011 stock 9C3 with 55K miles (never in patrol use):

It was time for brakes so I first I changed rotors and pads and verified all correct thread locker and torque specs. Same clunk.

I've changed struts (2012 AC Delco) and poly strut bushings with new bearings (SuperPro SPF1590AK), Moog problem solver greaseable end links, but still chasing the same clunk which first developed about 3,000 miles ago.

Now I'm replacing control arms but can't find any replacements with poly bushings. Simply putting poly bushings in my current front control arms would leave me with the same ball joints, and since I'm basically replacing the whole front suspension, it seems foolish to keep the same ball joints. Does anyone have any suggestions for best front control arms and/or bushings?

I've found BMR poly bushings, BK008, for the G8 steering rack, which I assume will work. Does anyone know if they fit or have any other suggestions?

This car is not driven hard at all, just ten minute school runs around town or long road trip cruises, never any autocross or the like, so no need for super stuff suspension. But have to eliminate the dreaded clunk!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:46 pm 

I have found my sway bar is moving around with a fair bit of movement... my next step is sway bar bushings. Not sure if it's your issue, but your problem you are describing sounds very similar to mine. If you already replaced those, disregard this.

Good luck and let us know what you find..

-J

EDIT: I didn't answer a single question you asked... sorry about that :lol:

2008 CVPI
163k miles and counting

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:29 am 

had a similar noise it was the sway bar links

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:03 pm 

It was the sway bar links on mine too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:34 pm 

My 14 has the same rattle when going over bumps. When I had it in the air I couldn’t find anything loose though. I’m going to probably do end links based on your guys comments. I’ll report back.

Be jealous of my factory carpet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:57 am 

I was able to narrow mine down to the control arm bushings by having my wife operate the car while i watched on a creeper next to each front wheel. With her foot on the brake go from reverse to drive, and when the car pushed forward and backward with the brake applied I could watch the tire rock back and forth about 2 inches.