Deep Pan Transmission Modification

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
Fudgehog

Re: Deep Pan Transmission Modification

Post by Fudgehog »

smwalker wrote:
Fudgehog wrote:
Forever reason, CEL isn't on but my scanner is showing U0100. Car is fine though.
Check engine light only comes on with P codes. U codes deal with communication between modules and such. Nothin to fret about.
Can't thank you enough, Sm! You're truly a lifesaver. Just wish I could get those wigs wagging. :lol: :lol:
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Well I followed the instructions and I'd estimate about a half qt- 1qt gushed out. Then when it slowed I put the plug back in. I did it on level concrete with nothing under the car. When I did the install I had the front of the car on ramps, maybe that's what's causing my issues.

I pulled the plug when the temp read 42C.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Curious what does your dipstick say now?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

the G8 guys ran more fluid because of a flare during shifts under hard acceleration , the factory fill level allowed the fluid to move away from the filter , which is why the deeper pan and wide mouth 6l90e filter and the extra fluid to keep the filter from sucking air

i had trouble getting the level right on mine too
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

smwalker wrote:Curious what does your dipstick say now?

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to check it until a few minutes ago, with the sump temp at 62C I checked it on a weighing scale at work (assuming pretty level) and dipstick read low.

Definitely need to add more fluid. I had noticed it was a little off shifting wise. Going to add a half quart and go from there.

Active Duty USAF
kevink

Post by kevink »

smwalker wrote:
Fudgehog wrote:
smwalker wrote: 10. Once the desired transmission temperature is reached, switch off the engine.
I believe you are supposed to check it with the engine running. The sticker on my trans pan even states that it should be running.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

kevink wrote:I believe you are supposed to check it with the engine running. The sticker on my trans pan even states that it should be running.
I've always checked it running, I thought that was kind of implied. Maybe not for the sump plug but for the dipstick.

Active Duty USAF
kevink

Post by kevink »

Fudgehog wrote:
kevink wrote:I believe you are supposed to check it with the engine running. The sticker on my trans pan even states that it should be running.
I've always checked it running, I thought that was kind of implied. Maybe not for the sump plug but for the dipstick.
The pan clearly states that for checking with the plug, it needs to be running. The same will go for a dipstick as long as the "full" mark corresponds to the same level as the sump plug.

On another note, I have some interesting pics comparing the stock pan to the Camaro pan. The Camaro pan's sump plug collar, for lack of a better description (the part that extends up into the pan), is about 0.560" lower than the stock pan. That means that the fluid will be 0.560" lower in the transmission with the Camaro pan in relation to the trans pan rail than with the Caprice pan. I installed a Camaro pan and a dipstick but calibrated the dipstick to match the fluid level in the trans as if I were using a Caprice pan. Doing this puts even more fluid in the trans than if you installed a Camaro pan and set the level with the plug.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

So you're saying that the standoff for the level check plug is lower in comparison to the pan gasket surface?
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
kevink

Post by kevink »

Mooseman wrote:So you're saying that the standoff for the level check plug is lower in comparison to the pan gasket surface?
On the Camaro pan, yes. I'll upload some pics later.