tapshift in 9c1?

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
greasychevy

tapshift in 9c1?

Post by greasychevy »

So is anyone in the know about the 6l80 transmissions? Id really like a tap shift in my 9c1. I was thining a g8 shifter may just be plug and play? i know there is a circuit board on the side that control the tap shift, i was thinking theres a way to make push button on the console to control sport/upshift/downshift. i dunno if its as simple as plug an play or a bcm/tcm reprogram or not possible.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
gregc

Re: tapshift in 9c1?

Post by gregc »

greasychevy wrote:So is anyone in the know about the 6l80 transmissions? Id really like a tap shift in my 9c1. I was thining a g8 shifter may just be plug and play? i know there is a circuit board on the side that control the tap shift, i was thinking theres a way to make push button on the console to control sport/upshift/downshift. i dunno if its as simple as plug an play or a bcm/tcm reprogram or not possible.
The 9C1 harness will plug into a g8 shifter, but you'll have to repin the harness to match the G8's.
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

awesome. Will it be plug and play or am i going to have to figure out how to get a dealer to do some reprogramming?
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
gregc

Post by gregc »

greasychevy wrote:awesome. Will it be plug and play or am i going to have to figure out how to get a dealer to do some reprogramming?
Not sure. I attempted to do that shifter swap but realized the shifter i got from the salvage yard on eBay was broken. It won't come out of drive, and into park. I have a new shifter that came with the seats I bought, but I'm not going to attempt the swap until I have all the parts. The parts physically fit in the location but the pins on the 9c1 harness don't match up with the the G8 shifter. I'm going to do the console swap, but it requires more parts than I had anticipated. The wiring is different as well. I took my apart my dash and console and the lower instrument panel cover and bracket is different from a 9C3. The parking brake cable is different. The connector for the 12v, trunk release and stabilitrak is different too.
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

Well keep me updated im very interested. I kinda want to keep my 9c1 shifter so im working on how to have push button up and down shifts. I found some good info on g8board. Ill try to post a link tomorrow when im at a computer.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55823See if that works. He is putting paddle shifters in, but on page two there is a decent explaination of the circuit.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

any news on shifter swap? i bought a G8 shifter tried the plug an play route but no go. ill look into it more this weekend. according to the schematis from shopkey just pin 4 is different where it goes into the bcm i thnk.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Y'all sure you don't need a BCM update to enable this function with the 9C1? Remember the BCM controls a bunch of operations with this car, I think I'd check to make sure it will work first before I did a bunch of hardware mods & spent money.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

id say there is a good chance you do need a bcm program to make it work. but the shifter was only 100 bucks so i figure if it doesnt work i can sell it. im going to try installing and wiring it up without permanatly removing anything before i officaly install it. and if it needs a program i dunno what il do. i have some friends who work at gm dealers so i can ask them to try to program it. but im sure the bcm is vin specific so it might come down to trying to get Gm technical support to write a new program for me, which im sure they wont do and then ill go back to how it is.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

I didn't see it mentioned above, but the 9C3 has bump shift (+/-) capability. When you bump the shifter over in D, it will enter performance shift mode. By default it stays in automatic. But as soon as you bump it + or -, it changes over to semi-manual shift mode. So if I were to guess, the 9C1 computer may already be setup for it.

I call it "semi-manual" because it's pretty lame -- it will deny shifts to a higher gear if it thinks the RPMs are too low for a certain gear and will automatically downshift if you are going too slow. Dammit, if I want to stall or lug the engine, just let me! That's what manual means -- no interference. I'm the driver...I know what I'm doing and you (the car) don't! New fangled computers think they are smarter than me......... :roll:
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.