Will a transmission from another car bolt right in?

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
eagle-co94

Will a transmission from another car bolt right in?

Post by eagle-co94 »

Since the motor on my 9C3 was locked up it makes me wonder what the condition of the transmission is. I'm currently shopping for an LS3 camaro instead of the L99 because I'd like the extra power and know the TR6060 will sell for more than the auto. If the auto is a direct bolt-in though I might reconsider an L99 car.

Having said that, I am open to doing a TR6060 swap into my 9C3 depending on cost and modifications involved.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
xcidmigs

Re: Will a transmission from another car bolt right in?

Post by xcidmigs »

Is it not exactly the same transmission in both? 6l80e? not sure what would be different
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

I'm not sure which is why I'm posing the question. I was just high bidder on a salvage LS3 Camaro SS so we'll see if they accept the bid as it was noticeably lower than they normally go for. Probably because of the miles (72k). That'll just mean a well broken in motor for me.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

i know the 6l80s from G8s and prolly camaros are the same. The tr6060s from a GXP would most likley be bolt inable. maybe need drive shaft/ crossmember, stuff like that. i dont know about the clutch pedal and master and that stuff. but by all means try it and tell me how it works. ive thought about trying to 6speed swap but have never looked into it.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

If I remember right on the G8 forum a guy did a 6spd swap on his G8 . I think he said the camaro transmission was a little bit longer than the gxp transmission . But I am interested to see what you come up with .
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Based on these sites the gear ratios are the same:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrol ... .tab1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm still leaning towards an LS3 Camaro for the higher rear gear ratio and higher HP rating of the LS3 vs L99.
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Okay, a little more info and it looks definitive that the Camaro SS and the Caprice PPV use the EXACT same transmission:

GM 6.2L V8 L99 Engine Vehicle Applications Vehicle Transmission
Chevrolet Camaro SS (Coupe and Convertible) MYC-6L80

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engin ... z3U0E2moGW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GM 6.0L V8 Small Block L77 Vehicle Applications Vehicle Transmission
Chevrolet Caprice PPV MYC-6L80

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engin ... z3U0DwzQWJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

I'd stay away from the AFM engines, like the L99 that came in the automatic Camaros. You will eventually have issues with the lifters, even if you don't mod the engine. And if you want to cam it, you'll have to replace the lifters, which of course means pulling the heads.

That said, I like the function of the 6L80 in the Caprice. I had only spent a little time in a 6-speed auto behind an LS before owning the Caprice. Like any trans, it will need some beefy building if you up the HP quite a bit, but it seems to do a good job of picking the right gear when I need it to.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

I'm still leaning towards an LS3 car because I want the higher hp/tq numbers and higher resale of the motor if/when I go for a Z28 or ZL1 to donate a motor. It's nice to know that we have a quick and easy source for a transmission if necessary though.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Keep in mind that the transmission will need to be programmed to your ECM/BCM. These new transmissions have their own brain, specific to the application, inside of the case.

Regards,

Maurice
Last edited by Pursuit on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof