Tunes and I don't mean iTunes

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
ImpalaPPV

Tunes and I don't mean iTunes

Post by ImpalaPPV »

I am relatively new to the idea of "tuning" your car's computer and I am curious as to what can and cannot be done. In the past I have spoken with companies about tuning my Impala PPV but I never actually went through with it. I couldn't justify $400 plus dollars for a few extra HP and slightly firmer shifts from my trans. However, now I have my sights set on a 2014 (big fan of column shifted automatics) and up Caprice PPV V8 and I want to know what can and cannot be adjusted with an aftermarket tune. I feel like it will be simpler to list what I would like to have "adjusted" rather than ask the blanket question of what can be tuned so here is what I am looking for. Those familiar with tuning BCMs and ECMs and whatever needs a tune please feel free to chime in. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1: Traction and stability control completely off unless I turn it on. Can the switches be programmed to work opposite from factory -meaning the car starts every time with TC and SC off unless I push the buttons which would then turn it on?

2: Torque management -pretty much 90% off or off completely.

3: Tuning for modifications to drive train. Can we tune for headers, intake, and exhaust without a dyno? I do not plan on adding a blower but I would like to get 400+ crank HP out of a mildly modified engine. I am looking to add headers, an exhaust, a cold air intake, and roller rocker arms (if available).

4: Transmission tunes. Can the transmission's shifting be adjusted to be firmer and faster? I want performance oriented but not harsh or uncomfortable for daily driving. I understand 9c1 cars have a pursuit feature (could be wrong); can I adjust the settings in this mode to more of a "race" mode to achieve a "dual tune" mode for the transmission? Put it in pursuit mode and get FIRM FAST race shifts, leave in it normal mode and get a bit firmer and faster shifts than stock.

5: Radio and Body controls. Can Features that are locked in the radio be unlocked without replacing the radio? Can dome lights, windows and door locks be fixed via the cars computer? I understand that dealer will not fix the radio but will they reactivate the doors, dome lights and windows?

6: AFM and fuel economy. What can be done to increase fuel economy via a tune? Can we we disable AFM? How does AFM effect mileage? Can we tune the car so that I can turn AFM on or off at my bidding. I don't mean in the sense that I cut it to 4 cyl when I push the button but rather allow the car to switch to 4cyl mode as it normally would with AFM "on" and keep in 8cyl mode with it "off".

7: Throttle response. Can this be adjusted? I can't stand the lag from the drive by wire of my 06 Impala. When I punch it I want the car to move. I understand this may be a torque management issue. Can it be solved? I like spinning the tires...a lot.

Lastly, What is the speed limiter set at for the Caprice PPV? My 2006 Impala PPV doesn't have a set limit but it runs out of steam at around 138.

Again, any words of wisdom are appreciated.
greasychevy

Re: Tunes and I don't mean iTunes

Post by greasychevy »

yes to all of the above. The radio stuff you would have to talk to white auto about. He is a member here im sure he'll chime in. The DOD can be turned on or off, but it would have to be flashed each time. You can get 400hp at the crank easy. exhaust, tune, intake will net you about 340-360 at the wheels. a good tune alone will get you close to 400 crank. There is no need to change the rockers on these cars ever. from what ive read the factory ones are about the best.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

138 for the 3.9 Impala sounds about right. Seem to remember the Michigan test results for that year got about 139 out of the car flat out.

Just remember when you're talking about tuning, there's a difference in the results you can get from HP tuners and parameters you have to modify via the dealer's proprietary computer tools for example, a GM Tech 2. Most of the interior functions have to be done with the Tech 2 like changing how lights work, etc.... Engine and transmission parameters are done with HP Tuners usually.

On the speed limiter, I believe it's a 130 MPH limiter. Check in our files section, the order guide for the 2014 cars should tell you exactly what it is. It takes two seconds to eliminate it when HP tuners is used on the car.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
ImpalaPPV

Post by ImpalaPPV »

Gentlemen, thanks for the information so far! My biggest concern aside from the dome light, door handles handles, and windows (I am sure I can get a dealer to reactivate those features as terms of a potential sale) is the traction and stability control. Can the TC and SC switches possibly be programmed (by a tuner and not a dealer)to work opposite from factory -meaning the car starts every time with TC and SC off unless I push the buttons which would then turn it on? I know I have asked this same question before but it is the one thing I find important. I'd really hate traction and stability control not because I like to be unsafe but rather because I don't like having a nanny. TC and SC do have their place during bad weather and in the winter with a good set of snow tires.
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

First off, I seriously doubt the limiter is set at 130 because I was just going 140 a few weeks ago. My GTO is set at 155 if i remember correctly; I would guess it's closer to that.

Second, it may be possible to change the functions of the traction button but I don't see the point. Sure, you don't like having a nanny. No one does, but the only reason you turn the TC off is to spin tires and you probably aren't doing that all the time. Isn't it easier to just turn it off when you want to have fun? Also, I don't think you're going to be able to get that done with your standard dyno tuning software.

All the rest of that stuff is easily done by a competent tuner. The important thing is to find someone who knows drivability and not just max WOT power. Oh and unless I'm mistaken, the rocker arms in this car are already rollers.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
ImpalaPPV

Post by ImpalaPPV »

From what I can find there is a factory option to set a speed limiter at 130 if desired. Otherwise I think the car will go 150+ (V8). I want to say the Michigan State Police tests support that claim.

From the factory all LS series engines have roller body (I forget the actual term) but not tipped rockers. I was wondering of there was a nice set of roller tipped ones that might be worth the price. Probably not seeing as how anything LS is $500 and up.

Yes I agree that a tune should focus on driveability over WOT HP as you are rarely at WOT. WOT HP is kind of worthless if your car drives like crap at part throttle.

As for the traction control and stability control I want it that way because...well, I want it that way. If it can be done I'd be willing to pay for it.
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

as far i know you cannot reverse the traction control setting. It sucks. I turn it off every time i start the car.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Nice thing about the 2012 models, or at least mine... if you press and hold down the traction control button, you can turn Stabilitrak complety off! 8-)

So, I have three modes... Stabilitrak on, Performance Mode, Stabilitrak off... :mrgreen:

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

On my 2000 Camaro SS, there was an aftermarket module that you could install, behind the control button, that did just that, made the default position off, push the button for on. It was an easy plug and play. It worked real well, that and my line lock. Won lots of bracket trophies with that car! :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
ImpalaPPV

Post by ImpalaPPV »

I wish I could make the old camaro switch work... I remember reading that the traction and stability control could not be turned completely off on a v8 car from the factory. Is this true? If it is true and it is not possible to reverse the switches can it be tuned so that traction and stability control can be turned completely off when I want?