Tunes and I don't mean iTunes

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
greasychevy

Re: Tunes and I don't mean iTunes

Post by greasychevy »

You can turn traction completely off just press the button. I think a lot of people get traction control and torque management confused... but you can also turn that completely off with HP Tuners (but you shouldn't, just way down).
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

What exactly is torque management? Are we referring to the system that cuts the throttle during low traction?
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Torque management is something that the OEM's incorporate to increase the longevity of the driveline. One use is to lessen the power present at a shift point. You will see them pull timing, throttle position and fuel at each shift point to minimize the load on the transmission internals. The ECM and now the TCM (inside the trans) have torque tables (percieved torque, if you will). These tables calculate the assumed torque from TPS, spark, RPM, etc to calculate the torque output of the engine and then adjust the output accordingly to not overpower or shock the driveline. Within the TCM you can modify shift times, line pressures, torque convertor lock up etc. But there are hundreds of sub tables that address individual parameters such as solenoid fill times and release times, there is a table for a percentage of torque modification. I have had HP Tuners for awhile now, and have poked around alot within the engine and transmission computers. Unfortunately, I am not as knowledgable as i should be. I have to differed to Chris Henry Tuning as a good resource for advice and to help clean up my mistakes.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

I imagine this is why when I mash the pedal with TC off I can still barely get a chirp from the tires. The whole thing feels squishy, like the power is waiting to come in until I'm moving.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Hendo

Post by Hendo »

Even when I hold the button and "stability control off" it still steps in when I attempt to drift the car. It pulls power and the car starts tank slapping or just stops spinning altogether. It's annoying to say the least. It will do tight doughnuts with the right technique of having the car already moving about 10-15mph, turning full lock and mashing it to the floor but, that isn't a nice drift is it. :evil:
Can't wait to get my HP tuner and install my turbo. :lol:
ImpalaPPV

Post by ImpalaPPV »

I have heard that the stability control on 2011 v8 cars cannot be turned completely off. I don't know if they changed that for 2012 and later. I hope the cars can be tuned so that SC can be totally disabled when needed.
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

That is correct. I had to modify my tune, via HPtuners, to allow powerbraking the car in the waterbox, in order to heat the DR's up, at the strip. Some of today's nannies are a pain, at times. :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe