Transmission issues

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
Fudgehog

Re: Transmission issues

Post by Fudgehog »

Gamma, more new fluid is never a bad thing unless a flush was performed and the clutch material was pushed out. I used Amsoil transmission fluid in my Caprice and it loves it. Runs very cool.

Definitely get that Dipstick installed and go from there. Also try to upgrade to the widemouth filter and see if that makes any difference, if you didn't when you installed the Camaro pan.

I used GM 24236933 for the filter.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just FYI - I had tried Lucas in my transmission and as soon as my tranny guy (a 30+ year race transmission builder) heard I had used it, he asked how long it had been in and told me the stuff needed to be OUT of the system. As soon as possible. It took two drain & flush cycles to get it to run clear again, then we added the two tubes of Lubegard. Which cured the issue within 3 driving miles where Lucas hadn't touched the problem in at least 60 miles. $27 down the drain for 2 bottles of Lucas plus an extra fluid drain/fill cycle because the tranny was so badly glopped up by the Lucas.

I couldn't put an exact quote from his commentary here on Lucas as it'd trip the nasty filters, but to sum it up - liquid destruction. Everyone has opinions about additives, but this guy builds & repairs race, commercial, and passenger car transmissions every day for a living, 6 days a week. Since around 1990. Wiser ones then myself told me to trust this guy as he was the Yoda of many transmissions. The Force was strong with him in my case.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

I just ran a bottle of Lucas for two weeks in my Mercedes SLK200 with the 722.6 transmission, whereas BMWs and Mercedes are known for particularly touchy transmissions. It was even overfilled, no problems. This is a Eurospec car, I'm in Germany. I'm not sure how long ago this was, but the formula I'm sure has changed.

But now I did drop the pan and put in almost 3.5 new litres along with the filter change yesterday. It's definitely not a long term solution but can it be cheap insurance? Absolutely. Liquid destruction? I disagree.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

The pan was super clean, just like the last time, minimal stuff on the magnet, no glitter. I had already done the deep pan and filter upgrade and I also added a little extra after it dribbles from the check plug. I'd love to put in a dipstick but the truck one is apparently a b!tch to install and the aftermarket one is expensive and not really to my liking.

I'm not a fan of additives but at this point, I'm just about ready to try anything, probably the Lubegard if I can find it here.
(edit: Found it on Amazon.ca for $20/tube so ordered 2. Most reviews say it works, a lot of Honda CR-Vs :lol: )

Still haven't had a chance to do the Tech 2 thing and check the slip, pressures and so on. I had it programmed to 0 slip in the tune so right now, it ain't looking good for the TCC.

I'm not afraid of the torque converter always in "fluid" mode heating the fluid compared to the stock trans tune slipping the TCC constantly in all gears. The tranny failures and burnt fluid caused by the self destructing TCC is well documented. And I don't drive it as a daily. It's my summer toy :mrgreen:

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll report back as I work on this, when I can.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Hopefully the lube guard works! Keep us posted.

Active Duty USAF
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Put in the two tubes of Lubegard and seemed to help a little but still getting the fluctuation. Then loaded the stock tranny tune minus TCC engagement in gears 1 to 4 (my previous tune I had it set to 0 slip) and it seems to have cured it. I had done this before but maybe the combination of the Lubegard and the stock slip makes it undetectable or there could have been some sort of hysteresis making it unlock and lock constantly.

I will monitor and will also eventually check slip and command lockup with the Tech 2. I need someone to drive while I do this.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Keep driving it, the more time the Lubegard has to work in the better things got from my experience. After my trial use of it I went to their website & read the documentation they had laid out. Both very interesting & educational for me it was.

Glad it seems to be working for you!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

So final result. I took it out with the Tech 2. While driving normally, in 5th or 6th, it would slip between 30 and 60 RPM and when I activated it manually, it had 0 slip so the TCC is working properly. While driving, I would see the TCC pressure around 200 kpa and then would increase when going up a slight grade to maintain the slip.

I might play a bit with the tune to try and get slip down to 0. I really don't see the purpose of having the TCC slip all the time, which would increase wear, heat and fuel consumption. Probably the reason a lot of these transmissions are starting to fail now.

Thank you all for the help.
bullitt773

Post by bullitt773 »

Anyone know how much fluid total with the deeper pan?