Caprice 2007 (Holden) - V6 - Gear Shift Jerk in transmission

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
Alterego

Caprice 2007 (Holden) - V6 - Gear Shift Jerk in transmission

Post by Alterego »

Hello All,

Would appreciate the advice to troubleshoot the subject issue I have started facing recently.

Chevrolet (Holden) Model 2007 Engine V6

History
=====
Around a month ago, the transmission oil leaked in the engine coolant, hence the radiator was clogged and needed to be replaced. I assume by the time I became aware of it (fairly soon), the mixture of transmission oil + engine coolant was circulating in the automatic transmission as well as the engine lines.
The following repairs were taken by the mechanic
1. Bilstein engine flush
2. Gear oil drain / some drying time / refill
3. Radiator + Hose pipes replacement with new parts.

Current Problem
============
After a short while of having the above mentioned repairs, the following symptoms are appearing
1. When cold starting the car, the auto transmission behaves normal.
2. After a while of running , it starts having a noticeable jerk when moving the car from stationary/dead slow speed .
3. The jerk is noticeable in the initial gears (probably 1st or 2nd), in the upper gears the shifting is smooth.
4. Sometimes at random frequency there are slight uneven judder in drive (similar to what can be felt if there is a plug missing/misfire) - but could be related to transmission as well.

Error Codes
==========
I am able to collect the following error codes from the OBD II Bluetooth
P0700 (Transmission control system - MIL Request)
P0717 (Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit No Signal).

Before going for a detailed (and possibly expensive) transmission dismantle or overhaul or service
1. Can anyone recommend what should be the quick remedy that can be applied as a litmus check to see if it works. Can/should I first try re-drain/fill of the transmission oil - as I have read elsewhere that such issues can come in case of low transmission oil levels.
2. If oil is not the cause then in light of the error codes, what are the narrowed focus areas where the repairmen have to start troubleshooting. I mean any idea physically where/what to look at for these error codes.

Update
=======
Yesterday I took my car for a transmission oil change, assuming it might be the root cause. However when we went in pit to look at underbody, there was visible oil moisture/wetness on the oil pan and gear assembly. It was not a full on leakage or oil drip but slow seepage , as the mechanic showed me the dip stick , which was almost showing the oil level as full.

Many thanks for reading and suggesting possible way forward and line of troubleshooting.
Mooseman

Re: Caprice 2007 (Holden) - V6 - Gear Shift Jerk in transmission

Post by Mooseman »

One missing detail here. Which transmission do you have? I would assume a 4L60E if it's a RWD?
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Alterego

Post by Alterego »

Mooseman wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:22 am One missing detail here. Which transmission do you have? I would assume a 4L60E if it's a RWD?
Well good question, it is a RWD. Pardon me for being an average every day user not very well versed with the component part/series number details for specific years/make/model.

Can you please guide any way of finding it out.

Some time ago, out of curiosity I was able to get my hands on a part number catalogue for GM LAAM, which is installed at a spare PC. I will try searching my VIN number thru it to see if it is available.

Thanks.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Unfortunately, this forum is more focused on the North American exported version of the Holden WM and WN from 2011 to 2017, which has the 6L80E six speed transmission. All we can offer is general info to possibly help you.

What is the condition and level of the fluid? Should be red. If it's brown or even black, it is way overdue to be changed along with the filter. While the pan is off, check the wiring, especially to that sensor. Did find this on the sensor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbVYrR1 ... ernational

Unfortunately, it looks like you have to remove the transmission to replace that sensor as it is attached to the front pump.

Did find this Aussie forum which may have more info or be better to assist you.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/th ... de.280935/
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Alterego

Post by Alterego »

Well since the problem was recurrent and significant I had no option other than to get it professionally checked and dismantled. So found the recommended place to go by some friends having similar experience.

Got the car up the lifter, gear has been taken out. Will get popped open in sometime. Meanwhile here are some mug shots.

Image Image Image