No start....

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
leonpiper69

No start....

Post by leonpiper69 »

2011 ppv ran great last couple of months. New battery 2 months ago.

Drove yesterday fine and this morning a single click

Threw charger on it.....couple hours later....single click at starter.

Swapped rear defrost relay with crank relay....no luck.

This whole day sucks. Now I have to drivey friggin Chevelle to bring the kids to kickboxing and it's friggin hot out.
elc32955
System Manager

Re: No start....

Post by elc32955 »

Just a quick check or two, make sure to check your key fob status. Without the fob transponding your car will not start. Also AGM batteries can go bad, you know the drill there in using a battery tester. It's not outside the relm of probability that your new battery went south.

I actually need to change my battery in the next week or two, it's pushing 7 years old now - original OEM battery. But it still starts the car fine...
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
JUNKYARD_JACK

Post by JUNKYARD_JACK »

if its one click it might be the stator hitting the flywheel but the actual starter motor is not turning. Hard to diag on the internet but I'd start at the starter. IDK where our starters are but if you can hit it with a prybar and a hammer while someone else it repeatedly starting the car and it works then you need a starter
leonpiper69

Post by leonpiper69 »

Don't know how to check key fob status.

Could possibly be starter. But the click wasn't really as loud as I would expect for that although it was the starter clicking. It sounded more like the solenoid wasn't really even trying to engage.

I am going to order a new starter anyway.

But oddly enough it started....I have no idea why and then I drove it the last couple days and it has started every time. Still going to replace starter but since my I am doing maintenance on my humvee right and it's rainy so I am not taking my 71 chevelle out, I will have to drive it because the wife has my silverado for now.
leonpiper69

Re: No start....UPDATE, anyone ever change a starter?

Post by leonpiper69 »

So it left me stranded yesterday and I had ordered a new GM starter from Rock Auto a few hours before it happened.....just in case I was going to need it.

So I this morning I pull the old starter, bench tested it and it spins but doesn't sound right at all.

But holy heck have any of you ever changed a starter on this?????? Biggest pain. Not sure how I am going to get the heat shield back on.

For those that don't know, you have to unbolt the heat shield while it is up there because the shield keeps the starter from being able to come free. Once the shield was off, I was able to rotate the starter enough to get at the elec. connections. But the three little bolts are so hard to get at the only way I could get them out was to get an 8mm ratchet wrench up there and used a long flat head to hold the ratchet onto the bolt. Then of course the bolts fell to the ground.

New Starter should be here tomorrow while at work and I will try to put it on thursday morning before work. It stinks I have to drive my 71 chevelle (with NO freaking A/C) while the PPV is down and my humvee is sidelined because I am doing all the hubs right now.

On the upside my son got to learn how to operate a tow truck. I used to tow on weekends back in college.
IMG_20210823_151406_4.jpg
IMG_20210823_151406_4.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 7241 times
JUNKYARD_JACK

Post by JUNKYARD_JACK »

We had a tractor dealership when I was about his age and we had a big international roll back and I used to get so stoked when my dad let me move the roll back around so that's so awesome you were able to give your boy that experience!

Also in my experience starters are NEVER in convenient locations. lol.
leonpiper69

Post by leonpiper69 »

I just wish there was more activity in the PPV community. I guess there really just aren't that many of us out there that have them let alone work on them.

I tried joining a PPV group on facebook twice but no response at all.

Really wish I could find more info on the car. wondering if I should pull the trans lines to make the starter easier to install..... :?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

leonpiper69 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 am I just wish there was more activity in the PPV community. I guess there really just aren't that many of us out there that have them let alone work on them.

I tried joining a PPV group on facebook twice but no response at all.

Really wish I could find more info on the car. wondering if I should pull the trans lines to make the starter easier to install..... :?
do not pull the lines it will open another can of worms , checking the fluid and filling it sucks

standing the starter one end helps it come out
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

The starter is not any fun. I pulled the cat off and that helped a bunch. I think I threatened to pull the exhaust manifold on the next one I do. Probably not a task you want to do on a car that came from the rust belt.

With only 15,000 or so of these in the US, there will not be a big group of folks posting stuff.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

We've got a pretty deep owner database here, unfortunately more owners then not just like to lurk & not post. But if you get into a pinch folks are willing to offer their expertise to help for sure. Yeah, the PPV is a pretty niche car, it's not as pretty or luxurious as the SS but it lets people into the good horsepower club on a budget. Plus it is a pretty unique car in a number of ways, when was the last time you saw a funky dash shifter (labeled a "column shifter" by GM's PR folks) on another car? It's also a bang-up DD and transporter with those wide doors and large back seat area. The V6 car is basically a 2LS Camaro powertrain under a stretched 4dr sedan body that will let you get 28 MPG highway if you baby it. I got closer to 30 on my trip back from NC.

As far as Facebook, I'm not a Facebook participant as I DETEST data silos. However if you go to the links section off the site front page there's a link to the most popular Facebook group for the PPV. Try that site.

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.