Engine Angle?

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
Joshua27

Engine Angle?

Post by Joshua27 »

I was wondering if anyone knew what angle I should set my engine at. I haven’t been able to find this anywhere online. I know most cars are around 3 degrees going off of the crank balancer.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Engine Angle?

Post by smwalker »

Curious how would you go about changing the angle? mounts are all a fixed height, no adjustment in them that I know of ???
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Joshua,
I wouldn't worry about it to much, depending on what you are trying to do. I know that in years back, in a racing application, we would look at the entire driveline angles and offsets. Measuring at the harmonic balancer, driveshaft and pinion angles. We didn't want to have a completely straight line through the crankshaft, driveshaft and pinion angle. You wanted some offset in that connection. We would also set the pinion angle down to help with traction, depending power and tires.
The offsets minimized dynamic harmonics in the drive line and let the u-joints do their thing. These new vehicles have a two piece drive shaft and isolating couplers to transfer power. In stock form we can't adjust the rear pinion angle.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Joshua27

Post by Joshua27 »

Steve Walker I swapped out my 6L80 for a 4L80 and I am building a new trans crossmember. So yes the engine mounts are not adjustable but I can change the angle depending on the height I set my trans crossmember.
kevink

Post by kevink »

Joshua27 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:11 pm Steve Walker I swapped out my 6L80 for a 4L80 and I am building a new trans crossmember. So yes the engine mounts are not adjustable but I can change the angle depending on the height I set my trans crossmember.
I would slap the 6l80 back in really quick then measure the angle. That's all I would trust. If someone here told you the angle, it would only be good info if you also knew the angle of the rockers or some other section of frame rail that you could reference from.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Ahh Custom I see.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White