trans and diff fluid change

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
cerbomark

trans and diff fluid change

Post by cerbomark »

Going to have trans and diff fluid changed at 40-45K to keep warranty in good standing till 100K.
I m not going to mess with trans and dealer wants $250.
The rear diff I was quoted $160. 3 quarts. Is there a plug or do they remove cover/ gasket? Service writer said they flush like the trans??? And I read 1.5 quarts.
2016 C1
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: trans and diff fluid change

Post by smwalker »

Diff is a drain plug and a fill hole, Super easy.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I think I'd call BS on that diff fluid change, but for $250 for the trans, I think I'd let the dealership do it, too.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
cerbomark

Post by cerbomark »

Thanks all, you ve confirmed my thinking too. Is it 1 1/2 quarts in the rear?
2016 C1
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

1.32qts

also keep in mind , DO NOT USE regular gear oil or LSD additive , you need to use the factory gear oil , our diff has carbon clutches , use the oil part # below

Differential Lubricant-Castrol SAF Carbon Mod. GM P/N 92184900 for United States (88862826 for Canada).
cerbomark

Post by cerbomark »

I saw the drain and fill plugs. On the ground it s a little hard to get a bottle to even with a hose. Can t really get any height on the bottle. Looks like I may just let dealer do both at once. I still have a few thousands. miles at this point. I m doing brake fluid when I rotate winter tires off. Thanks.
2016 C1
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

For the trans, I got a siphon that doesn't necessarily screw into the bottle itself. Little more cumbersome, but I was concerned about under car clearance as well. From what I recall from S. Walker as well, the new AC Delco bottles have a vent integrated into the spout on the bottle anyhow, making attachment of a pump fairly... difficult.

Could always try making drive on ramps via some 2x10s to get the car uniformly off the ground to gain some more clearance. Good luck if you tackle it yourself.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
cerbomark

Post by cerbomark »

update; I can t believe the dealer told me they do not change trans filter and would only pump in new fluids.Crazy! Well I know it can be an issue when this filter clogs and can ruin the trans. So I found a trans shop that will do the whole thing next week, including dropping pan and putting new filter in. Dextron VI synthetic .

As far as the rear diff I have decided to order the GM92184900 from Amazon at $33 x 2 quarts and do that myself. I found the plugs while under doing exhaust so I know I can access them fairly easy. I have a hand pump and all sorts of hoses to make it work I guess.
2016 C1
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

changing the fluid and filter , you are best to add atleast the camaro trans pan , and the big mouth filter from the 6l90e
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

All are very doable yourself if you jack car up, plus the cash so save you can add a dipstick to the trans which is now available and ridiculous that its not stock.