Hard 3 - 2 downshift in sport mode

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
Craig2011

Hard 3 - 2 downshift in sport mode

Post by Craig2011 »

I was driving in sport mode and stood on the gas. The trans up shifted nicely, but when I backed off the gas it shifted into 2nd way too early. This brought the RPM up to 5000. Has anyone else had this experience?
kevink

Re: Hard 3 - 2 downshift in sport mode

Post by kevink »

Craig2011 wrote:I was driving in sport mode and stood on the gas. The trans up shifted nicely, but when I backed off the gas it shifted into 2nd way too early. This brought the RPM up to 5000. Has anyone else had this experience?
Yes, exactly what you described has happened to me at least three times, but my trans has been tuned so I thought it was related to that and just another bug to work out. I'm going to have my tuner look into it to see if he can prevent it from happening again. It's definitely not right. I don't really need sport mode anymore since it's been tuned, but I would still like to know why it happens.

Is your trans tune stock?
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

anyone read the owners manual , about sport mode ?

it will trans brake by down shifting , as well drop into the next lower gear to keep rpm and speed up for cornering
kevink

Post by kevink »

Yeah but 5,000 RPM seems a little excessive! That's near the factory limiter! It literally throws your body forward and is completely dangerous imo. I can't imagine what would happen if it did that in a turn or in wet conditions. I'm not seeing anything in the manual that describes what the OP and I have experienced. What page are you talking about? I might have missed it.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Craig2011

Post by Craig2011 »

Yes my trans is totally stock.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

This is another reason why the 2011 is the best car! It was clearly set up by GM to crush all the other police cars being track tested that year in hope of generating big sales... ALso why you can't completely disable the stabiltrak to go along with this and the crazy brake pads used this year as well. Good luck tuning the trans, seems very complicated and took my place a good couple tries to eliminate these issues. I don't really even use the sport button any more after all that its almost no difference other than the tap shift which in a 400+HP car is really just overkill.