so this is happening....

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
greasychevy

so this is happening....

Post by greasychevy »

3600rpm stall. should be fun.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
elc32955
System Manager

Re: so this is happening....

Post by elc32955 »

Oh my.... they'll never see it sneaking up on 'em :)
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

they might not see it, but they're definatly going to hear it...
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

well yesterday was a ... day. My old boss let me use the shop to put my stall in. Went in pretty smooth, aside from one exhaust hanger breaking, not a big deal, or so i thought. Took about 3.5 hours to do the converter new camaro trans pan and wide mouth filter. Then i called my tuner and headed over to his place. We drove around for about 3 hours trying to get the tune right, but he could not get the lock up clutch to engauge properly. It will lock for a second then unlock for a second back and fourth when driving. We have no idea why. thinking it could be a either the converter needs more break in or it has a bad clutch. It will stay locked when he comands it with hp tuners though... hes going to call yank this week and try to get some more info. So im driving home and i heard a bangin noise in the back of my car. so i pull over to the shoulder and get out sure enough another exhaust hanger broke and my pipe is dragging. Awesome. I called a buddy who brought me some coat hangers to tie it up with and i drove it home. Kinda pissed about that. The exhuast guy will be fixing it asap. and reinforcing all the hangers. Im hopeing this clutch deal can get figured out and i dont have to get a new converter. i will say the car is now melting my ET street slicks from a stand still. id hate to see what it does to a set of street tires. cant wait to get everything sorted out and get back to the track. Ill have to get the tires extra extra hot this time.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Kevin,

You have any plans for different gear ratio, like Eric has done? Seems like that could help take away some of the "hunt" issue with lockup.

What is different about the Camaro pan?
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

yes, i am planning on getting the camaro rear end. i havent decided what ratio yet though. I dont see that helping with the lock up function though. The more i think about it the more i think it has to be tune related... i dunno if my guy is missing somting or if there is some weird difference between our cars and g8s. Times like this realy make me want to buy hp tuners.
as for the camaro pan, it is just a deeper pan so you can hold more fluid. The yank converter is much smaller than stock so this way i can have more fluid and try to keep trans temps a little cooler.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

spent some more time with the tuner today, still no luck. we got a little better drivability by ramping up the pressure but its still not right. i guess i have to call yank myself and see what he has to say. And i assume ill be pulling the trans back out. This time on my garage floor :-( i did a little bit of driving around today, that converter is pretty wicked i would be thrilled with it if i could get it to work properly. gunna need more tire, burns the slicks right off now.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
264HSV

Post by 264HSV »

I'd be interested hearing the final cause of your woes. I'm assuming you are running a stock 6L60e tranny? If so it could just be the usual poor build of the stock trans giving you problems. Looking at your signature you've been down the 1/4 a few times and the build is far from stock. I reckon you might want to think about either a rebuild or a complete swap to an upgraded 6L80e or better still a 4L80e. Then do your diff gears. I really doubt your new stall will be the cause of your problems - well I hope not as I've been looking a one of these myself.
Keep us posted.
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

Still have not solved the problem. Been playing with different tunes here and there. im pretty sure im just delaying the inevitable. I dont think its the trans These cars come with 6l80s and theyre pretty stout. My car only has 4000 miles on it so far and i didnt have any problems before the converter. Im not completly ruling out trans or maybe i nicked the input shaft seal but i hope not. I made one more tune that i have not flashed yet, so il try that at some point and if it doesnt work i guess ill have to pull the converter. oh well. ill prolly just wait until i get my cam and pull the motor, it will make doing cam easier anyway.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Time for the first PPV manual trans conversion!!!!!!!!!!
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.