Which Gearing for Supercharged PPV?

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
Silversled

Which Gearing for Supercharged PPV?

Post by Silversled »

So it seems the 3.45 rear Camaro diff is highly regarded here by many.

However for the guy (me) planning on robbing the GM Parts bin for LSA supercharger parts, would the 3.27 rear diff be a better bet since fitting 10+ inch wheels out back doesn't seem like an easy option without breaking out the "sawzall" ?

The 3.27 can be had at significantly less money than the 3.45 and I'm sure while NA, it will be noticeable. When the car is blown, it seems to be a better choice for traction.

Discuss.....
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
ManBearPig

Re: Which Gearing for Supercharged PPV?

Post by ManBearPig »

I guess mine still has the factory dif with 2.92 in it. Ill be upgrading to a camaro ss with 3.27 because its my daily driver. I just want to eliminate the weak links .
Pretty sure orgndnr has 3.45 in his LSA 9C1
Robert

2011 Caprice 9C3 Alto Gray
KERR

Post by KERR »

depends on what you want out of the car.

as you know the higher number the lower the gear....

If i was going blown id do the blower and what ever first and see how it works. i know from a old camaro stand point say 98-02 we would swap the 2:xX gear for the 3:44 gear of the 6 speed cars, however we play with turbo stuff, with instant torque of the blower car a 3:44 or steeper might just make it spin more..

with all that said i love gears, my 69 camaro is 4:10 and 67 corvette 4:56 but of course those are not daily drivers and the interstate sucks majorly.
cal30_sniper

Post by cal30_sniper »

Bear in mind that the longer the gear, the stronger the gears will be. A higher ratio comes at the cost of a weaker gearset. Driveshaft rotation speed is another one to think about if you plan on running any high speed stuff. Probably isn't a factor, but might be worth considering.

With modern transmissions, it seems that gear ratio is becoming less and less of an issue these days. Not anything like the old 3-speed auto and 4-speed manual stuff.
-2011 Caprice 9C3: Mirage Glow Metallic, 63k miles
-2011 Caprice 9C1 (Gone)
-1973 Firebird Formula, restoration in progress
-1986 K30 Suburban 8.1L/NV4500, the toy hauler and wheeler