g8 trans in a caprice

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
officermiller

g8 trans in a caprice

Post by officermiller »

Just wanted to let yall know YES a pontiac g8 trans WILL work in our cars. For those that doubted just finished the swap and it works fine.
CrashTestDummy

Re: g8 trans in a caprice

Post by CrashTestDummy »

But is it a drop-in option?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
officermiller

Post by officermiller »

CrashTestDummy wrote:But is it a drop-in option?
Yes to a extent. The trans bolts up fine, harness hooks up the same. Only thing you have to do is program the trans for the car being as the TCM is in the transmission you just have to tell the trans which car it is in. Either from the dealership or if you have a tune on your car refresh the tune you have on it and it gets the trans running perfect.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I'm lost is it not the same unit? 6l80e?
officermiller

Post by officermiller »

xcidmigs wrote:I'm lost is it not the same unit? 6l80e?

IT is yes but some of the features of the g8 are different then our cars. The flash just gets the tcm, and the car on the same page. Or at least that is my understanding of it.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

yes, clearly the TCM has to be set up for the car its installed in, you just seemed to have some doubt as to the ability to do this in the begining. I've been over the TCM tune way more than the actual Engine tune in my own car and thats just based on my own preferences for what RPM to shift at etc, the TCM is clearly a learning type also and needs to have you drive it at various speeds and throttle percents to understand what to do with the information that the sensors are giving it and make its own adjustments. Every time i reflash the TCM tune it needs a few days of driving before I can tell whats happening.
officermiller

Post by officermiller »

xcidmigs wrote:yes, clearly the TCM has to be set up for the car its installed in, you just seemed to have some doubt as to the ability to do this in the begining. I've been over the TCM tune way more than the actual Engine tune in my own car and thats just based on my own preferences for what RPM to shift at etc, the TCM is clearly a learning type also and needs to have you drive it at various speeds and throttle percents to understand what to do with the information that the sensors are giving it and make its own adjustments. Every time i reflash the TCM tune it needs a few days of driving before I can tell whats happening.
Well yes to a extent I wasn't 100% sure. Only thing I kept hearing is "it should" no one told me 100% yes the trans will work in your car. And the way new technology is nowadays good to have 100% confirmation that it will work.