Paddle Shifter Write-Up

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
thetonytolbert

Re: Paddle Shifter Write-Up

Post by thetonytolbert »

bumpc723 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:15 pm Thanks for all the awesome info. I just built and installed the shift box per the write up and it works great. I’d guess I have 8hrs invested including research and purchasing time.

I got my BCM pin from the junkyard out of a 2012 Cruze. My local dealer wanted $17 ea and I had to buy a pack of 5! That was the hardest part.
You should start selling these!!!
2015 Chevy Caprice - Heron White
Former South Dakota Highway Patrol Car
Full Holden Conversion

https://www.holley.com/garage/view/7279 ... t-caprice/

andrewquant

Post by andrewquant »

Has anyone gotten the instrument panel to display the gear you are in when using TUTD mode and the shift box with a 9C1 car? I have "IP Display = Enabled" in my tune for TUTD, but nothing shows up on the IPC when I'm shifting gears with the box. I think the 9C3 shows it. I didnt see anything in my module programming options on SPS via TDS either. I dont want to add an extra display box.
2013 PPV Phantom black 1,077 RWHP 1,015 RWTQ 9.9@148
LS3 stroker 417ci, Callies crank w/ Malhe pistons & Darton sleeves. 11.5:1
Procharger F1a94. 22 psi boost E85
Water/Meth + 180hp N20
BTR custom cam 235/257 .638/.629 116, BTR shaft rockers Johnson 2126 lifters
BTR Trinity intake Kooks headers w/ Solo exhaust 3"
CDT Level 4 trans build w triple disc TC
Holley 120lb injectors
MT ET Street R 305/45/R18 on 10" widened OEM wheels.
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

Nate68c10 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:52 am What activates the paddles?
Not to beat a dead horse here but I got my hands on a ZL1 steering wheel and want to wire up the paddles when I install it.
I think the quote above is the only question at this point.

Edit: found the answer in another thread…add a switch inline on the wire from the steering wheel.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
BLTPPV

Post by BLTPPV »

"It's a basic voltage divider - power in comes from BCM Connector X1 Pin 17, and the output voltage is fed back to the BCM on X1 Pin 20. We don't have the shifter so we get to recreate the entire circuit rather than just duplicating part of it or piggy-backing onto the existing shifter."

Is the voltage from pin 17 12v, can I tap into another keyed source?

Thanks
BLTPPV

Post by BLTPPV »

Ok, obv pin 17 is 12v, I am looking for another source if possible. I'd rather not cut into the harness anymore than neccessary. Maybe one of the wire feeding the sport shift or stability buttons?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Not sure you want to take just any 12 volt source. I believe the feed from the BCM is a steady 12.0 volt source so the switches hath work on resistance can get a steady 12.0 volt reading no matter the vehicle voltage.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
BLTPPV

Post by BLTPPV »

smwalker wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:25 am Not sure you want to take just any 12 volt source.
Ya, that makes sense.

The pdf's Component Connector End Views list BCM X2 PIN 20 as "sport mode switch signal" and PIN 21 as "traction contol switch signal". I thought that maybe the +v (12v?) source for switches might be steady enough for the paddles as well. Maybe they're 5v or grounds?

The cannibalization of the low ref wire in the steering wheel made me think maybe the signal wasn't that sensitive. But my experience is limitted. I don't want false signals causing erratic shifting, definitely don't want to brick the BCM.

I haven't found any info on the switches other than they go to BCM X2.
BLTPPV

Post by BLTPPV »

The traction and sport switches appear to be grounds.

Traction, sport and trunk button plug release.
waipunalei

Post by waipunalei »

RM96 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:18 am Here's a screenshot of TUTD settings in HP Tuners under Transmission. Green is what I had to enable. You might want to adjust other related settings like the Tap Up / Tap Down shift scheduling.
Do you still have the HP tuners info for the TUTD? I'm getting ready to add a paddle shift to a 2014 PPV so any info would be appreciated. Thanks Jeff