PPV's available with blown motors - what can be swapped in?

Drivetrain discussion including Transmission, Differential, Driveshaft, and related items.
Honkbeep

PPV's available with blown motors - what can be swapped in?

Post by Honkbeep »

Hello everyone!
Lately I have been searching for a good deal on a PPV since I learned about them while browsing Proxibid. This one has a bad engine and I think it could go cheap. Personally I would love to have one of these as primarily more of a roomy highway cruiser than a sports car. Thus, I was wondering if modifications could be made to make this "caprice" more like a Roadmaster - in terms of sound deadening, ride comfort, and fuel economy.
Firstly, I have heard that any chevy v8 could go in easily. My dad once had a 2000 suburban 2500 that he bought and replaced the blown 6.0L with a 5.3. He could get 16-17 mpg out of it at 70mph, a large improvement. My purpose with this would be to put in a 4.8 motor. Could one from a 2000-2006 truck go in, or does it need to come from a 2010+? How much work would the swap be and who could I get to change the tuning? I would hope that with this motor and some other coaxing to approach 30 MPG on the road.
I know that adding things like Dynamat behind trim panels can help with noise, is this necessary in this car or is it quiet already? The very large back seat space is attractive but being cheap fleet vehicles might strip away the luxury of having such. Also, what is the ride like for passengers on the road? I know my neighbor's Crown Vic CNG is very soft but a PPV is much more serious and fast.
Sorry for the bombardment of questions. I am glad there is a community here and I hope to share any experiences!
s/c'd cav

Re: PPV's available with blown motors - what can be swapped in?

Post by s/c'd cav »

any gen4 motor , 07-newer with the 58x crank
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Honkbeep wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:05 pm Lately I have been searching for a good deal on a PPV since I learned about them while browsing Proxibid. This one has a bad engine and I think it could go cheap.
As mentioned by S/C'd cav, a Gen 4 LS engine would be easiest. There's an active thread of someone who replaced a 6 cylinder with an LS engine in one of these Caprices. Anything is possible and that project proves it but at the end of the day, the guy on the project does NOT recommend following in his footsteps.
Any LS engine (4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2) will physically "fit". Problems with the correct reluctor wheel, location of cam sensor, built in DOD are all possible and resolvable problems but how many issues do you want to have to resolve? If you change engines, you are committed to getting your engine re-tuned. ..or will you run a different computer? - that eliminates the possibility of an emission test. The "blown 6.0" may be very salvageable. A cracked block or wrecked lifter bore are possibly not so salvageable. Anything else is a different story - for probably not too much money. These engines eat lifters mostly. Usually you can fix this very cheaply. A little labor intensive, however.
Honkbeep wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:05 pm to approach 30 MPG on the road.
30mpg is a stretch. I good running and well tuned 6.0 can probably get you in the low to mid 20's on the highway. The 6L80 trans has 2 overdrive gears (5th is .8521 and 6th is .6667) which help greatly in economy. BTW, 1st gear is 4:1. This trans is just awesome.
Honkbeep wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:05 pm I know that adding things like Dynamat behind trim panels can help with noise, is this necessary in this car or is it quiet already?
My Caprice has carpet (9C3). It is a lot quieter than a Pontiac Vibe but not quite as quiet as my Honda Ridgeline. I bought some Dynamat for my Vibe (which is my son's now) but I will likely deploy in my Caprice. I would attack doors, behind rear seat, floor, firewall.. in that order. The firewall should be higher in the list but it will be a royal PITA to do.
Honkbeep wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:05 pm The very large back seat space is attractive but being cheap fleet vehicles might strip away the luxury of having such. Also, what is the ride like for passengers on the road? I know my neighbor's Crown Vic CNG is very soft but a PPV is much more serious and fast.
These cars are on the Zeta platform. Think Camaro.. Pontiac G8. Another Zeta car is the Chevy SS. That car is extremely well appointed. In terms of ride, I have no complaints. It is (as it's supposed to be) a sporty sedan ride.

Good luck
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Honkbeep

Post by Honkbeep »

Thank you for the detailed reply!
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just one quick note, if you are after fuel economy and have no plans to track or AutoX the car, consider purchasing a V6 LFX. I have one for a DD and have gotten 28 MPG highway. It's 301HP, basically the same powertrain as the Camaro 2LT. Any V8 will give you excellent performance, but at the end of the day the LFX may be a consideration for you strictly on a fuel economy basis.

State of North Carolina sells 2014 and 2015 Caprices, watch their auction for low hour transport cars. Routinely 80-110K miles, my car had just over 500 idle hours when I purchased it, about 2500 hours total. That's darned good in the world of used Caprices!

Thanks, good luck on your search.
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Eric has a great idea there. The 6 cylinder versions normally are a lot cheaper and do get close to your mpg goal. And as he says, they have lots of hp's (301). I think you owe Eric lunch. :D
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

You want to buy a full size sedan and swap to a smaller motor for better mpg. I agree with just buying the V6 PPV or the V6 G8. The amount of work (time and money) to swap out the 6.0 for a smaller engine would make payback costs not worth it. Plus then resale value would go down.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

The mods I have done to my car increased the "smiles per gallon" factor by at least 20%... :D

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof