Kooks G8 midlength headers

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
lastcall190

Kooks G8 midlength headers

Post by lastcall190 »

Picked these up used for a good price so I figured why not. Allow me to keep my current exhaust which I like, as well. I haven't seen anyone running them so figured I would post up my experience.

Car was on drive up ramps and not raised any higher. Driver side would have been installed in very short order, but oil cooler was in the way (block casting tab as well, but to a lesser extent). I didnt have to touch the steering rack, but oil cooler needs deletion. Oh well, mines leaking anyhow so it'll be on its way out.

Passenger side went right up. Dipstick was tricky but once I found landmarks of where it was routed, made short order of it. Had it installed in about 30 min.

All in all, if not for oil cooler, this would have been a 1hr install, no joke. Sure with cooler deleted i could use G8 longtubes, but I didnt anticipate cooler delete at the start of this. I like my actual exhaust too. In the future if i decide to change it up, I can just grab some G8 LTs if I want.

I'll take pics and vids when I'm done.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
s/c'd cav

Re: Kooks G8 midlength headers

Post by s/c'd cav »

a freind has them on his , and had to delete the oil cooler as well
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

The restriction is in the front cat. Get some aftermarket cats, and you're probably very nearly to long tube performance.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Deleted the cooler today using parts from improved racing and a stock G8 upper hose PN 92457865. Gates 23450 absolutely did not fit my 2012. Though you could slice it and use a union fitting to shorten the length. I didnt know when Amazon could actually deliver that so I went to rock auto for the hose

Just need to get some dexcool and thats that. With the oil cooler out there is an absolute abundance of room

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

All buttoned up and finished today. Startup is almost not noticeable in terms of volume difference. Once it settles into idle, it sounds a little less muffled, if that makes sense. I have a 3" Magnaflow with straight through mufflers, and it's still very tame and neighborly. Only had a quick trip around my development, <20mph. Very little difference perceived at this point, but when throttling up a small hill, it was surprisingly full of growl and deeper than before.

I am pleased. For the price I paid for the used set, and not having to have anything custom fabricated, it was worth it to me. In hindsight if I knew about the oil cooler delete I don't know that I would've gone the same route, but the price was right and the cooler delete freed up TONS of space. My wiring harness repair would have been much easier with it out of the way...

I'll get some vids in the coming week.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI