Evap purge valve solonoid replacement?

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
camrat68

Evap purge valve solonoid replacement?

Post by camrat68 »

I tried searching and only found one thread referencing a P0442 code and Evap Purge Valve Solenoid replacement.

I bought a new one and tested it per the manual to ensure it holds vacuum and it was fine but I can't figure out how to remove the lower hose on the solenoid. The top hose and electrical connector are self explanatory but that lower hose defeated me. The manual also shows a different mounting than what I have on either the 12 or 13 which made me wonder if I was trying to remove the right part. there's nothing on the intake manifold that matches the manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Chesnutt
1968 Camaro -my first car.
1995 Black/White 9C1 Caprice
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.
s/c'd cav

Re: Evap purge valve solonoid replacement?

Post by s/c'd cav »

they are both a quick release from what i remember , i think either a push lock , or a single locking tab
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Wow, we had that issue on our ‘10 Tahoe PPV!! Quite the process to get that out of the truck.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

Finally got it. It only took about one minute to swap out once I found out how to release the lower hose.

Pry up the locking tab that holds the solenoid in place to slide it towards the front of the car and off of the mount.
Lift the tab on the red electrical connector to and pull it out of the solenoid to remove that. Don't lose the weather seal.
The upper (drivers side) hose pinches from both sides and pulls off.
The lower (pass side) hose has a white locking tab that has to be pressed on one side to release the hose and pulls off.
Reconnect the hoses and electrical connecter to their proper places and slide the new Purge valve back onto the mount. Bend the locking tab back down to prevent it from coming off of the mount.

Edited because the picture still came out too large.

Jim
Attachments
PB143319.jpg
PB143319.jpg (179.21 KiB) Viewed 12034 times
Jim Chesnutt
1968 Camaro -my first car.
1995 Black/White 9C1 Caprice
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.