G8 exhaust to PPV

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
lastcall190

G8 exhaust to PPV

Post by lastcall190 »

Fuzzkill already did this and had pictures, but just wanted to post up my own experience.

I bought a system made for the G8 after getting some feedback. He did some quick welds to the joints (slip joints with about 4" or so to accommodate the other pipe) and obviously extended the tips. I asked him about what else he did to make the exhaust fit and if in his opinion it could be accomplished with just some extra lengths of pipe slip fit. He said he didn't feel it would be an issue and he was correct. Besides needing only about four extra inches where the x-pipe and under axle pipes meet, everything else bolted right up. The inlet pipes off the stock cats to the x-pipe section fit together fine with plenty of room to spare and a good seal on the connections. The tips need to be extended about 6-6.5" depending on where I want them to sit in the rear bumper.

If I had the length on hand of piping needed, this would have been a simple unbolt and install affair. Though on my car unbolting the exhaust was anything but easy, and if your car has any appreciable amount of miles in the rust belt, good luck. I threw a lot of heat at these bolts AND the connections to the stock cats.

As an aside... the sound of a dumped x-pipe coming from a car that looks as pedestrian as my Caprice made my wife laugh.

I will throw up some pictures when I get into work tomorrow.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
lastcall190

Re: G8 exhaust to PPV

Post by lastcall190 »

Just finished up... Now just to find some place to extend the tips past the bumper. Having them dump basically into the rear bumper I would think might add some additional noise...

...right? :lol:

Too dark for pics, I will get some this weekend.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

lastcall190 wrote:Just finished up... Now just to find some place to extend the tips past the bumper. Having them dump basically into the rear bumper I would think might add some additional noise...

...right? :lol:

Too dark for pics, I will get some this weekend.

-J
.... and a melted rear bumper cover.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Oh I know. Drove around the neighborhood about 5 minutes to check for leaks and rattles. None, so I parked it and there it sits until I get an appt someplace to extend the tips. The rear bumper cover is shot anyhow as it stands, but might as well not make it worse.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Tips are being extended today and should have the car back tonight/tomorrow (getting responses from shops and even finding shops to do it proved to be fairly difficult much to my surprise). When I get a vid I'll see how I can get it loaded up to the web. I have a quick idle video and I am a huge fan of the sound thus far. Very deep and reasonably aggressive from what my camera can pick up. Inside the car, it's an absolute bombardment of drone in the low RPM since the exhaust is bouncing off the bumper cover (the 5 minute drive to the shop was... interesting). If I knew how to put this online I would. Exhaust is the Magnaflow 3" with x-pipe (not the crossover style muffler) if anyone is curious.

-J

EDIT: Here is a pic of the tips. I will probably adjust the pipe so they sit up a bit higher but the length of them off the rear bumper is perfect for me. The shop even tucked the rest of the system and adjusted it so it wouldn't bang/rattle (on ramps in the driveway wasn't the easiest). Magnaflow has dual tips for every other system for the G8 I believe... except this one =| Whatever, they're different, and they fill the bumper gap not too bad. They'll be fine until I get the urge to change them. The drone level is drastically reduced, as the noise was hitting right off the bumper cover. There is still some drone on the highway and lower RPM so I am best suited going 75mph or slower than 60mph on the highway. Haven't floored it a bunch but the car feels slightly more fleet of foot, which I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering all the various mufflers that came off the car and opening up the piping size. I am pleased, and can't wait to put headers on the car now... great.
Attachments
Exhaust Tips.jpg
Exhaust Tips.jpg (317.59 KiB) Viewed 14229 times
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI