PCV or not?

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
lacamaro

PCV or not?

Post by lacamaro »

Ordering a afm/dod delete kit, I have not pulled the intake off so I am unsure if there is a PCV tube or not.
Thanks!
2011 PPV wrecked/selling whole or parts
2012 PPV Race car
2013 PPV Street Nymph
1964 Cadillac coupe slow ride
1973 Z28 StreetZilla
2005 Dodge Cummins tow ride
Los Alamos, New Mexico 87544
kevink

Re: PCV or not?

Post by kevink »

There is a tube. It goes from the driver's side valve cover to the intake manifold immediately behind the throttle body. This is the dirty or suction side of the system. Since you are buying a kit, you may opt for an LS3 style valley cover. If you do, the suction tube will connect to the valley cover instead of the valve cover. Some people say that using the LS3 valley cover in an upgrade to the PCV system, but I have yet to see any actual evidence that it is.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Better investment is just to buy an oil catch can for the dirty side there sir....
lacamaro

Post by lacamaro »

Ya I was thinking about a dirty can instead..... so much to know before placing an order....UGH!
Thanks guys!
2011 PPV wrecked/selling whole or parts
2012 PPV Race car
2013 PPV Street Nymph
1964 Cadillac coupe slow ride
1973 Z28 StreetZilla
2005 Dodge Cummins tow ride
Los Alamos, New Mexico 87544
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Hmm, I thought the LS6 lifter cover was teh hotness. That’s what I dropped on my LS1 in our 3rd Gen Firebird for oil control. Many seconds at 6000-6500 RPM has required new oil control mods, though.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

There is rubber plugged nipple on the valley cover just under the throttle body. Not sure why Holden decided not to use this as the dirty side? All I know is I'm getting a bunch of oil on my freshly done cam upgrade now. Any recommendations on catch cans? There's $25 ones on Amazon all the way up to $500 on the internet. It's not rocket science I just need a can and hoses that will allow the hot gasses to condense and trap most of the oil and contaminants.
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Capeasy wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:28 am There is rubber plugged nipple on the valley cover just under the throttle body. Not sure why Holden decided not to use this as the dirty side? All I know is I'm getting a bunch of oil on my freshly done cam upgrade now. Any recommendations on catch cans? There's $25 ones on Amazon all the way up to $500 on the internet. It's not rocket science I just need a can and hoses that will allow the hot gasses to condense and trap most of the oil and contaminants.
The ONLY LS* we've had any oil control issues is our 5.0L LS1 in the autocross Firebird. At one track, where we spend a fair amount of time in the high-RPM ranges, I was getting oil control problems. Like blow the oil cap out of the valve cover problems. We ended up with a 2-can strategy, with one can for the PCV system, and another for the valve covers. We're using a Moroso unit for the valve covers and running -10 AN hoses from the valve covers via custom-welded -10 AN bungs. So far, so good.

Not sure you'd need all that, but the can is this one: https://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/85468/10002/-1. It seems that hose size is key, so run the largest diameter hose you can. It prevents the hoses from acting like a straw to push liquid oil to the can. You may not need -10 AN (5/8"), but I'd certainly try something bigger than the OEM 3/8".
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Yes thanks Gene, I've looked at that one, we just don't have a bunch of room under the hood unless i mount it in front of the core support behind the grille where it can get some cool air. I just heard a couple manufacturers mentioned keeping it in a warm area near the engine so to not get a bunch of condensation occurring. I think I'm getting oil in the plenum because of the amount of overlap on the cam.
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's