Kooks Axle Back

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
lastcall190

Kooks Axle Back

Post by lastcall190 »

As the title states, just looking to see if anyone is running this setup. Did some searching, couldn't quite find many cars (even here or the G8/SS board) whom are running this either at all or without longtubes. Thanks.

-J

Edit: Ok found some feedback on G8 boards where they speak of them having pretty incredible drone (With LTs and X). Wonder if SS mufflers would be a better option...
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
s/c'd cav

Re: Kooks Axle Back

Post by s/c'd cav »

while my G8 sounded great with them , i only used them for drag racing , and switched back to the OE gt mufflers , because of the drone , it was horrid !!
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Yeah that seems to be the consensus I'm hearing...

I see stainless works has some nice full bodied mufflers, too bad I can't weld.

Bad part is that it seems anything that has a tone outside of the car, is accompanied by drone inside the car. I love the sound of Magnaflow, but I feel as though it's an invitation for drone...

Oh well, guess I'll have to try and find local examples of exhaust.

I hear stock GT mufflers are a nice middle ground especially with LTs. No pun intended.

Thanks for input!

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

the stock gt mufflers only knocked a few mph off my ET at the strip , on the street no one really knew how big my cam was , you only heard it along side the car

some people run a mid muffler , to help knock down any drone , or do a adjustable J-pipe , like solo has on their systems , which allows you to move the pipe to help cancel out the drone

running 2 X pipe sections , like the one kooks or arh has , along with the one in the mid muffler doesnt hurt the power
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Thanks again for the input. I have listened to a few more vids of the Solo Axle back, and on a stock manifold/midsection, it doesn't seem THAT loud. For the price, its WAY better than I could probably do locally supplying my own mufflers and tips to a shop to have them fab something up. I realize all the vids I had been seeing either had high flow cats, or long tubes with the solo and it was just atrociously loud. My last LSx had 1-7/8, X, dumped spiral flows and no cats with a 110LSA cam. Sadly those days on a daily driver are behind me :lol:

Right now LTs are a few years off, so an axle back should scratch the itch for a while.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Remember, a lot of the price in many of those aftermarket exhaust kits is due to the use of one type of stainless pipe or another. You'll be hard-pressed to get stainless at the local muffler shop.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Good point... given the daily driver characteristic of the car, stainless is more or less a requirement at this point (hooray Northeast).

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Well since my exhaust has decided to start rotting and leaving parts on my driveway I figured what the hell and pulled the trigger on a G8 exhaust system which I got quite a fair deal on.

Spoke with a couple members and it doesn't seem like much of a task to repurpose it for the PPV so I'll see what happens and try to take some pics.

Might as well start spraying the bolts with PB Blaster *NOW*

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

what did you buy? I fear the NE road salt more than anything myself.... I also installed a Magnaflow X pipe central muffler that is avail in 2.5" and 3" and has very good reviews on SSforums when using LT headers.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

The road salt is an absolute atrocity.

I actually got a Magnaflow system. Everyone says it drones, it might, but whatever. It was a decent deal, I haven't been disappointed in the past with their systems, and I didn't feel like spending an arm and a leg for an xforce from Australia.

I'll get some pics and vids when it comes in and I install it.

Adapting to LTs will be interesting but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI