Talking about rotofab

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
MaiAoSi

Talking about rotofab

Post by MaiAoSi »

Hi guys, after a few weeks of wondering, I decided to keep my 2013 caprice rather than paying several thousands more for a 2014 version. I then got some extra budget and one way I could think of to use them is the roto-fab.

Although the newer caprice-specified version seems to fit well, I really prefer that enclosed filter box and the heat shield which the ss version comes with.

So here comes the questions:
1.Is it gonna be an significant amount of extra work or any special tools/skills needed to put the ss version into our engine bay? If so, what would be the tricky points?
2.Is the sound after the CAI mod "understandable"? Personally I'd rather keep the sound to be relatively quiet, at least doesn't sound like those people who race at 2am.

BTW. I could try to source some parts from China if you guys are interested in. Parts for the buick park avenue. I do like the seats but it seems to be too pricey to ship to US. But for some small parts like the weather strip on body (US gm p/n:92253114, I think most of these on retired ppvs are broken more or less) I could get them for a good price (since ACdelco has lot of their parts made in China)
MaiAoSi

Re: Talking about rotofab

Post by MaiAoSi »

reply or PM me since I'm planning to setup a shipping in next week or so.
kevink

Post by kevink »

It's only louder when you put your foot in it, and even then it's only slightly louder. The Caprice Rotofab is barely a cold air intake at all. It sucks in a lot of engine bay heat. I assume the SS version would be similar in this regard. They flow better, so maybe that's where the gains come from. If you are going through the trouble of doing something that's not off the shelf, you may be better off putting the filter down low in front of the front wheel and trying to seal it off from the engine bay. This would be a much cleaner looking installation, too. Personally, I hate like the ricey look of the SS Rotofab.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

the SS version has a enclosed filter , ive got it on my 14

the only real issue with the SS on the 11-13 is making sure it clears the ps pump pulley , the 14-17 only have a small idler pulley

and there is some cutting to the rotofab box that is needed to clear by the headlights
Maxspeed96ct

Post by Maxspeed96ct »

anyone try the ss intake on the caprice yet?

Im very curious if it will work
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

Maxspeed96ct wrote:anyone try the ss intake on the caprice yet?

read what i said above , the ps pulley is in the way
Maxspeed96ct

Post by Maxspeed96ct »

s/c'd cav wrote:
Maxspeed96ct wrote:anyone try the ss intake on the caprice yet?

read what i said above , the ps pulley is in the way

Ill have a rotofab box in my hands in a few days that ill be trying to fit.

I know the headlight area would need some trimmed but I think the PS pulley is the same, and the A/C lines are routed the same.

Ill be sure to report back with results
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

yes the head light area needs a bit of trimming , as does the plate you slip in that blocks the hot air from getting sucked into the bumper area

think i had posted pictures once in the FB group , rotofab used my 14 to fit the SS intake to it
kevink

Post by kevink »

s/c'd cav wrote:the plate you slip in that blocks the hot air from getting sucked into the bumper area
Do you have any pics of this plate, before or after trimming? It sounds like something that the Caprice Rotofab is lacking, because there is nothing to seal off the engine compartment from the air inlet. I've said it before, but the Caprice Rotofab is not a CAI at all. It could definitely use some help in the "cold air" aspect.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

the plate as far as i know is specific to the SS intake , and yes i do have a picture