Finally Decided (intake)

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
s/c'd cav

Re: Finally Decided (intake)

Post by s/c'd cav »

xcidmigs wrote:
kevink wrote: My throttle response is instantaneous with this MAF, but I also have a very good tune (which you will need anyway if you install one). Don't forget to switch the two center wires on the harness! I'm not sure if this would be of any use on a mildly modified or unmodified car, though.
What did you have to "tune" to install that MAF and did you do that at the same time as other mods or by itself? I'm kinda pissed bc I have the parts for this but never installed when I did my cam swap when the tuner I use said that it wasn't needed for my power level and would make the tuning harding to do. What happens if I just throw it on there with no more tuning change?
the computer will freak out , the maf scales are completely different

also your tuner was wrong to a point , the IAT in our stock maf is very slow to respond , the LS3/7 responds alot faster , also the info ive gotten from my tuner , the computer scaling is wacky for us also , since IAT #'s are used in relation to timing or lack of , its a very important thing

the stock MAF itself isnt as much of a issue
kevink

Post by kevink »

xcidmigs wrote:
kevink wrote: My throttle response is instantaneous with this MAF, but I also have a very good tune (which you will need anyway if you install one). Don't forget to switch the two center wires on the harness! I'm not sure if this would be of any use on a mildly modified or unmodified car, though.
What did you have to "tune" to install that MAF and did you do that at the same time as other mods or by itself? I'm kinda pissed bc I have the parts for this but never installed when I did my cam swap when the tuner I use said that it wasn't needed for my power level and would make the tuning harding to do. What happens if I just throw it on there with no more tuning change?
The actual tuning is over my head, but as s/c'd cav said, the scales are different. Sounds like your tuner doesn't know how to do it. I doubt it will run at all without a tune. I did all my mods at the same time- cam, converter, gears, headers, exhaust, CAI, MAF, blah, blah, blah) and got one tune for the engine and trans. I am actually still getting it tweaked, but it's very close. We are just addressing minor driveability issues right now. It is really running amazingly right now. I never thought this 4200 lb car would feel this fast without a blower.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

simple way to cure the IAT issue , is to use a iat break out harness and get a fast responding iat/thermistor , this would bypass the slow iat in the maf
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

s/c'd cav wrote:simple way to cure the IAT issue , is to use a iat break out harness and get a fast responding iat/thermistor , this would bypass the slow iat in the maf

Can you explain that a bit or link to the part you are describing? Is that something that again requires retune after or is it just enabling the tune to work "better" ??? If anyone could do this by just buying the piece and wiring would seem like a great mod.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

xcidmigs wrote:
s/c'd cav wrote:simple way to cure the IAT issue , is to use a iat break out harness and get a fast responding iat/thermistor , this would bypass the slow iat in the maf

Can you explain that a bit or link to the part you are describing? Is that something that again requires retune after or is it just enabling the tune to work "better" ??? If anyone could do this by just buying the piece and wiring would seem like a great mod.
this harness(if my search was right) - http://www.casperselectronics.com/cart/ ... uct_id=414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

then you use a older iat sensor (4th gen f-body , cavalier), and youll need to drill a hole in the intake tube some where , and use a grommet to seal/hold the iat into the tube or location you put the iat sensor

the other is for your tuner to check the scaling for the iat in the pcm , and correct/change it if necessary

this isnt a end all high horse power mod , just something that helps with the maf's slow responding iat
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

s/c'd cav wrote:
xcidmigs wrote:

this harness(if my search was right) - http://www.casperselectronics.com/cart/ ... uct_id=414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

then you use a older iat sensor (4th gen f-body , cavalier), and youll need to drill a hole in the intake tube some where , and use a grommet to seal/hold the iat into the tube or location you put the iat sensor

the other is for your tuner to check the scaling for the iat in the pcm , and correct/change it if necessary

this isnt a end all high horse power mod , just something that helps with the maf's slow responding iat

So is this pretty much the HSRK that the G8 guys talk about?
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

that would be correct