Cheapskate cat back on my 2012 PPV

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Cheapskate cat back on my 2012 PPV

Post by CrashTestDummy »

So you can use the Camaro SS/ZL1 manifolds, OR the Z28 'tubular' manifolds, correct?

What about the primary cat? Since the Caprice manifold necks down to 1-7/8, or so, what's the inlet on the front cat?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Gene,
Yes the cast SS/ZL1 manifolds bolt right up and I've used the SS/Zl1 cats attached to various Camaro cat back systems (adding the extra length past the cats using a cross over and an extra length of pipe). The inlet and outlet of the piping welded to the cats is 2-1/2".
See here : http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1834" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Z28 tubular headers are on as of today, but, I have not seen them yet. My fabricator says that the tightest fit is on the passenger side. I will have more info when I get back home this weekend.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

the OEM cast iron manifolds are all the same between camaro SS, PPV and G8 GT please don't be fooled into buying "ZL1" manifolds as they are not different only the z28 version is.

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/p ... 11638.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

ZL1 are different , but the same design

the ZL1 are made from a different metal , than the standard cast iron
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

What would be the reasoning behind that? Heat output? and why not make a different design while they were at it? Part #?

Well I looked it up and they did make the ZL-1 only manifolds from a "cast stainless" which was for heat and they also have a relief cut in the flange where it bolts to the head. Not sure there is a performance benefit for anyone that is NA and the cost is approaching full length headers if you are buying them new.
Last edited by xcidmigs on Fri May 12, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Pursuit wrote:Gene,
Yes the cast SS/ZL1 manifolds bolt right up and I've used the SS/Zl1 cats attached to various Camaro cat back systems (adding the extra length past the cats using a cross over and an extra length of pipe). The inlet and outlet of the piping welded to the cats is 2-1/2".
See here : http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1834" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Z28 tubular headers are on as of today, but, I have not seen them yet. My fabricator says that the tightest fit is on the passenger side. I will have more info when I get back home this weekend.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice,

My question is, what is the inlet ID on the factory Caprice front cat? I have an aftermarket cat back to install on our '12, and am thinking that if I could grab a couple of SS stock manifolds, use our front cats, then bolt up the cat back, I could get a pretty decent exhaust system for not a lot more money than what I already have in the cat back. I'm not wanting to replace the front cats, but use them, IFF they're not another choke point.

Thoughts?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

CrashTestDummy wrote:
My question is, what is the inlet ID on the factory Caprice front cat? I have an aftermarket cat back to install on our '12, and am thinking that if I could grab a couple of SS stock manifolds, use our front cats, then bolt up the cat back, I could get a pretty decent exhaust system for not a lot more money than what I already have in the cat back. I'm not wanting to replace the front cats, but use them, IFF they're not another choke point.

Thoughts?
this has been gone over already, the OEM PPV/g8 exhaust manifold is EXACT SAME as the camaro versions, same part # etc. No change needed there. What is different between the 2 platforms is the OEM front cat pipes which are shown here in this thread. PPV/G8 uses a smaller than 2" main cat inlet. Camaro manual trans pipes are the biggest factory offering.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=121" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Arcticolds442

Post by Arcticolds442 »

I plan on replacing my factory manifolds and front cats with a set of headers this summer. I will keep the exhaust behind the headers the same as posted in the vid in post #1 to compare apples to apples. I will be doing a before and after chassis dyno to get some good data on the factory restriction and I will be happy to post the results.
2012 9C1 DD - stock for now
'72 Olds 4-4-2
'65 AMC Rambler - LQ4/T56 work in progress
"No Bucks Given" '84 VetteKart
'65 Cutlass
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

So I finally got this pic to once and for all show the ID of the stock PPV cast iron manifold which is also the same part that is used on a 2010-15 camaro SS or any G8 GT...
20170520_005534.jpg
20170520_005534.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 12110 times
As we can see this is not the choke point some claim it is, that 2.14 matches up to the ID of a 2 1/4" tube, not sure but I believe that is the size used on a factory LS3 type downpipe as opposed to the odd PPV flextube version that necks down to less than 1 7/8"
Next I'd like to get my hands on a set of JBA or other shorty headers and see how they compare.