Full Kooks system

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
79sevillecoupe

Re: Full Kooks system

Post by 79sevillecoupe »

What have you guys paid for kooks headers and x pipe? I was quoted 1900 for the 1 7/8 headers, green catted x pipe and kooks axle back kit. Is this a good deal?
kevink

Post by kevink »

79sevillecoupe wrote:What have you guys paid for kooks headers and x pipe? I was quoted 1900 for the 1 7/8 headers, green catted x pipe and kooks axle back kit. Is this a good deal?
$742 for 1 7/8" from Maryland Speed, but I don't recommend buying from them. They immediately took my money and then waited over two months to ship them. It was the worst transaction that I have ever experienced. The customer service was awful. Do yourself a favor and stay away from those jokers unless you don't need your parts for at least three months and you don't mind calling them every week and begging for your parts.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
79sevillecoupe

Post by 79sevillecoupe »

Was the customer service rep's name Branden F that you were dealing with? That is the place that quoted me on the parts. What did you order through them?
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

79sevillecoupe wrote:Was the customer service rep's name Branden F that you were dealing with? That is the place that quoted me on the parts. What did you order through them?
Branden (sp??) called me on March 9th to explain what is going on with my order. I believe he is the owner. I ordered my Kooks LT and race catted mid pipes on Dec 3, 2016 and as of March 21 have no clue when I'll get them.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

Silversled wrote:
79sevillecoupe wrote:Was the customer service rep's name Branden F that you were dealing with? That is the place that quoted me on the parts. What did you order through them?
Branden (sp??) called me on March 9th to explain what is going on with my order. I believe he is the owner. I ordered my Kooks LT and race catted mid pipes on Dec 3, 2016 and as of March 21 have no clue when I'll get them.
Update: I just received a UPS email that it is shipped. By the time I receive it next week it'll be just about 4 months from the time of order.

The way I understand the issue is that Maryland holds onto your money until they get a critical mass of orders which adds to the lead time. Then the Chevy SS demand is so small that Kooks's production planning only creates manufacturing demand 2-3 times a year probably based on their batch sizes to minimize jig change out and setup.

If anyone wants to order from Maryland, I would highly recommend calling and confirming that they have it in stock and put it in writing at time of order. If not, be prepared to wait to get their good pricing. For LT and race catted mid pipe, I paid $1300 shipped.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Hzgray

Post by Hzgray »

FYI, they now appear on Kooks website.
2013 9C3, DoD delete, BTR Stg 1, Kooks 1 7/8, Rotofab, 3.27 Diff, VMR 810 wheels (staggered), King Springs (lowered), oh and a D1SC.
79sevillecoupe

Post by 79sevillecoupe »

So I finally got the system bolted on the car and she is LOUD. Not too loud at idle but around 3 to 4k rpm its setting off car alarms. It has a super clean and aggressive sound without too much drone (still running AFM).
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

79sevillecoupe wrote:So I finally got the system bolted on the car and she is LOUD. Not too loud at idle but around 3 to 4k rpm its setting off car alarms. It has a super clean and aggressive sound without too much drone (still running AFM).
What mufflers are you running?

Yes I do find the car on the little loud side with my Kooks 1-7/8 with race catted mid pipe and Chevy SS mufflers. As for drone, I found that untuned, there was a small amount when applying more throttle when at a higher gear (before dropping a gear) and at around 2000rpm. After I tuned it and pulled timing in the midrange to get rid of knock it smoothed out and is not as objectionable. BTW, with the headers and untuned, the stock calibration was riding constantly on 4-6 degrees of Knock Retard. The car is able to pull timing quickly but that amount of knock makes me cringe.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Ive seen numerous threads on G8 forums where guys were unhappy with the full kooks system until they installed a magnaflow front resonator with internal x pipe....
79sevillecoupe

Post by 79sevillecoupe »

I'm running the solo axle backs. They are great. They also allow for minor drone tuning via the adjustable J pipe welded on. I'm going to start messing with them today and see if she will lose some of that unwanted noise.