Full Kooks system

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
79sevillecoupe
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:43 am

Full Kooks system

Post by 79sevillecoupe » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:18 am

What kind of performance gains can I expect from a 1 7/8" kooks headers, green catted x pipe and axle back (full kooks system)? Im currently switching to a VCM OTR cold air intake as well as an HPTuners tune (for more power obviously :twisted:).

CrashTestDummy
Posts: 1760
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:31 pm
Location: Pearland, Texas

Re: Full Kooks system

Post by CrashTestDummy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Probably an additional 25-30 HP, but with the larger headers, you may loose some low-end torque.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2010 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1996 BBB Impala SS (11-second DD)
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?

Hzgray
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:04 am
Location: Old Dominion

Re: Full Kooks system

Post by Hzgray » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:02 pm

I was looking for a Kooks system just yesterday. Called them up and they have part numbers for our cars that cover headers, middle pipes (no/race/green cats), and complete systems. No need to mod a SS/G8 system.
2013 9C3, DoD delete, BTR Stg 1, Kooks 1 7/8, Rotofab, 3.27 Diff, VMR 810 wheels (staggered), King Springs (lowered).

Silversled
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Full Kooks system

Post by Silversled » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:29 am

Hzgray wrote:I was looking for a Kooks system just yesterday. Called them up and they have part numbers for our cars that cover headers, middle pipes (no/race/green cats), and complete systems. No need to mod a SS/G8 system.
This...

https://youtu.be/Q-LNeGGFyOk
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i

9C1fanatic
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:58 am
Location: Texas Hill Country

Re: Full Kooks system

Post by 9C1fanatic » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:02 am

Silversled wrote:
Hzgray wrote:I was looking for a Kooks system just yesterday. Called them up and they have part numbers for our cars that cover headers, middle pipes (no/race/green cats), and complete systems. No need to mod a SS/G8 system.
This...

https://youtu.be/Q-LNeGGFyOk
Do they not have this listed on their website? I couldn't find anything for a Caprice there. It would be nice for them to upload that if they are offering it. Do you know if the kooks system could be connected to solo axle backs using the stock flange back there?
Garner Ames



1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
SS Roto-Fab CAI, Solo axle backs

2015 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 6.0L (owned by the tax payer in all of us)

Solo axle backs

Dtmhat
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:09 am
Location: RGV, Texas

Re: Full Kooks system

Post by Dtmhat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:29 am

And what was the price they quoted you?

79sevillecoupe
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:43 am

Re: Full Kooks system

Post by 79sevillecoupe » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:35 am

Dtmhat wrote:And what was the price they quoted you?
Kooks quoted me this(this includes part numbers for everyone else to use for future reference):

25202200 1 3/4" x 3" Stainless Steel Long Tube Header Retail $934.32
25202400 1 7/8" x 3" Stainless Steel Long Tube Header Retail $946.37
25203300 3" x OEM GREEN Catted X-Pipe Retail $1675.93
25203200 3" x OEM Hi Flow Catted X-Pipe Retail $1150.78
25203100 3" x OEM Off Road (No Cats) Catted X-Pipe Retail $1029.49
25206100 OEM Stainless Steel Axle Back Exhaust System Retail $909.84

I'm trying to get in touch with a kooks authorized dealer to see if I can get a deal on LT headers and Green catted X pipes

Hzgray
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:04 am
Location: Old Dominion

Re: Full Kooks system

Post by Hzgray » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:26 am

The Kooks sales rep actuallly suggested that I go through one of their aftermarket dealers for cheaper price. She mentioned giving Summit Racing the parts numbers for a quote but there are others.
2013 9C3, DoD delete, BTR Stg 1, Kooks 1 7/8, Rotofab, 3.27 Diff, VMR 810 wheels (staggered), King Springs (lowered).

Silversled
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Full Kooks system

Post by Silversled » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:05 am

9C1fanatic wrote:
Silversled wrote:
Hzgray wrote:I was looking for a Kooks system just yesterday. Called them up and they have part numbers for our cars that cover headers, middle pipes (no/race/green cats), and complete systems. No need to mod a SS/G8 system.
This...

https://youtu.be/Q-LNeGGFyOk
Do they not have this listed on their website? I couldn't find anything for a Caprice there. It would be nice for them to upload that if they are offering it. Do you know if the kooks system could be connected to solo axle backs using the stock flange back there?
They do not list it probably because they only sell like 2 of them a year. LOL.

The Caprice mid pipe is essentially a modified Chevy SS unit extending the ends and replacing the European ball joint with a traditional flange.

Searching the inter-webs comes up with this vid (Kooks + Solo)

https://youtu.be/q14-IBLsDkk
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i

undrcvrppv
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:11 pm
Location: South side chicago il

Re: Full Kooks system

Post by undrcvrppv » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:33 am

When I ordered my exhaust from kooks last fall they did not sell a kit for the caprice and said they probably wouldn't so I ordered the 09 g8 gt kit with cats and I had to cut and splice in 2 3.5 inch pieces of stainless on to the x pipe and if I was to use the g8 axle back it also needs 3.5 inches added for the exhaust tips to come out to the rear bumper. And you have to get rid of the oil cooler for the g8 1 7/8 long tubes

Post Reply