resonator delete

Discussion on fuel delivery & intake/exhaust tech & mods.
B.T. Justice

resonator delete

Post by B.T. Justice »

has anyone just done a resonator delete to there exhaust system? if so did it sound better ?
B.T. Justice
Wisconsin
2011 caprice
Raunchtastic

Re: resonator delete

Post by Raunchtastic »

I did a 2nd cat/muffler delete. It drones like a mofo at 1800-2000rpms. It sounds OK below 3000, but anything above 3000-3500 sounds fantastic.
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Raunchtastic wrote:I did a 2nd cat/muffler delete. It drones like a mofo at 1800-2000rpms. It sounds OK below 3000, but anything above 3000-3500 sounds fantastic.
Can you explain a bit better? did you just replace the 2nd cats and giant suitcase muffler with a section of straight pipe? Is there any H pipe or crossover in it? I'm getting ready to remove my stock forward cats and replace with the camaro OEM ones and then it will only have the 2 bullet type mufflers used on a LS3 camaro and the factory H connector attached to my stock caprice rear mufflers. I'm not liking the idea that there will be drone with that.
B.T. Justice

Post by B.T. Justice »

Currently my 2011 caprice exhaust is all stock and wondering if deleting the resonator would improve the very quiet ride these came with
B.T. Justice
Wisconsin
2011 caprice
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

The big contributor with this car is the AFM--when the engine goes to 4-cylinder mode, there's a very noticeable change in exhaust tone. The stock exhaust system is tuned to keep the drone at bay when in 4-cyl mode, so other changes can create some very unpleasant sounds....

Consider finding a tuner to turn off AFM (ECM mod) or physically delete AFM components, but even then you can still have drone, depending on other changes to the exhaust.
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

The 2nd set of catalytic converters were removed, but the mid muffler was retained. I removed the rear-most muffler "axle-back" as the flex joint was completely rotted. I wish I still had them, honestly. My car has been tuned without AFM and it still drones horrendously.i never noticed the AFM kicking back and forth to be a bother. The resonance of the stock headers is supposedly the culprit, but I can't say with certainty. With the TSP cam that I have, it made the drone slightly worse, as the cam has higher lift, but still in the same rpm range.
If I had an extra $800-1200 laying around I would just re-do the whole mess of a system. It's not horrible with the windows up, but when all other windows are down it feels like the whole car is an echo chamber for that resonance. When cruising around town I sometimes drop it in low to kick out of that rpm range.
lsxJERRY

Post by lsxJERRY »

Don't make the mistake of deleting stuff from the exhaust, it's all there to help to HORRIFIC drone from the 4cyl mode.
Learn from my mistake:

My suggestion, do the AFM/DOD delete and buy a G8 cat-back exhaust. Sounds great...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_-7_pGid8w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kevink

Post by kevink »

I took the mufflers off of my totally stock 2011 just to see what it would sound like and it droned bad with or without AFM. Maybe some helmholtz resonators like Solo uses would help.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Holden_buff

Post by Holden_buff »

I may be tone deaf, but I had everything from the cats back replaced with straight pipe followed by FlowMasters. I think it sounds great. I do notice the AFM switch, but it doesn't bother me at all.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV X 2
2006 Pontiac GTO
2009 Honda Civic Si
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

I had read online that the G8 guys were able to eliminate the drone by going to long tube headers. Supposedly the factory exhaust manifolds were the source of the drone. I, obviously, needed to test this. I went with the Pacesetter long tubes, used a factory G8 mid pipe with all resonators deleted and an X-pipe just like LSXjerry did. I did order the wrong size pipe, however, so mine is 2.25-2.5 then back to 2.5 This may be the cause of some of the noise cancellations properties. Even with no mufflers running completely straight there was no drone at any RPM. I put stock G8 GT mufflers on and it sounds mellow until 2krpms, then at 2100 it sounds like a valve opens and gets raspy and sounds phenomenal. I do not have any gaskets between the X-pipe and muffler, so the leak is the source of the raspy sound. I could probably cut up some cardboard and make a gasket to get rid of it, but it doesn't bother me. There are a few videos that I posted on Youtube...

2nd cats removed, no mufflers, stock manifolds, cam, all resonators in place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJkbm98RndM

Long tubes into straight pipe with cam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6pSJ4SWFbU

Long tubes, straight pipe, G8 GT mufflers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_d7Cb4ZYLk