Heater Hose Relocation

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Heater Hose Relocation

Post by smwalker »

I saw all the G8 guys doing this project so though I would take a stab at it for the Caprice. Seems everything is about the same.

Bought 2 of the Dayco 80405 - 90 degree bend 5/8 inch hoses from AutoZone for about $15.00 each.
Can also search for Gates 18077
Re used all other clamps and hardware.

Steps:
Make sure Engine is cold.
Drained Radiator
Removed Spring Clamps at Water Pump (some coolant will drain out) and twist to remove hoses.
Removed Spring clamps at heater core and twist to remove hoses.
Cut the curve ends of new hoses to length making sure to leave a gap between hoses and relay bracket.
Tie wrapped the hoses (loosely) to the wiring harness of the ABS pump (this keeps them away from the engine movement).
Cut the straight ends to length making sure to leave enough slack to move them to the side of the engine compartment to keep them away from the engine.
Take the spring clamps of old piece and put them on the new hoses (make note one fitting on the water pump is 3/4 of an inch so a slightly bigger spring clamp is used)
Install the spring clamps on the new hoses along with the protective mesh used on the old piece. Install this right at the 90 degree curve to protect the hoses from any rubbing in that area.

Refill radiator, bleed engine of air, check for leaks at the new hose fittings.

Before:
Final Product:

The Steps in Pictures

Cutting the hose to length:

Tie Wrap to ABS Pump Wires:

Connect at Heater Core:
Will post up again if I find a nice solution to keep the hoses aay from the coil.

Still have much more detailing to do on the engine.

If you want to get a little more slick there is a tubing package available from TechAFX for the G8. Should work well with the Caprice as well. It uses part of the old hoses to connect to the new tubing. Cost is around $100 US for the kit.

TechAFX Website
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Heater Hose Relocation

Post by Navy Lifer »

I've wondered about this mod (using AFX kiit)...is this essentially what has to happen when a SC is installed?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Navy Lifer wrote:I've wondered about this mod (using AFX kiit)...is this essentially what has to happen when a SC is installed?
Yup, superchargers or even some engine covers do not play nice with the factory heater hoses.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Why would that AFX metal pipe have a warning tag saying "for offroad use only" ??? What does heater hoses have to do with on/off road use? Or is that just a general disclaimer required by their lawyers?

When you reroute the heater hoses the way you did, are they exposed to more heat from the exhaust manifolds? I guess it shouldn't matter with coolant flowing through them except that it may trap more heat in an already confined space.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Probably purely liability control.

Having the heater hoses absorb more heat may not be a bad thing, right?

I was eying this mod before I bought the our car, but the hoses really don't sit on the manifold as was mentioned on another forum, so I'm still on the fence on this one. After changing plugs on our Tahoe, I'm now pretty sensitive to spark plug access, and it seems that this mod puts the heater hoses in the way of that, especially the back plugs. Bright shiny metal gets my attention, but I'm still thinking about this mod.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

storm9c1 wrote:Why would that AFX metal pipe have a warning tag saying "for offroad use only" ??? What does heater hoses have to do with on/off road use? Or is that just a general disclaimer required by their lawyers?

When you reroute the heater hoses the way you did, are they exposed to more heat from the exhaust manifolds? I guess it shouldn't matter with coolant flowing through them except that it may trap more heat in an already confined space.
Yes forgot about one other item they said was an option to add:

Thermo Flex Wire Hose Insulation

They said if you think you need it add it. I don't know it is kinda across from the manifolds but there is other stuff there also that is not protected, even the brake lines are right there. SO to me I do not think it is needed. Maybe if you had headers?? Those run hotter?

Yea the off road thing has been around for a while. Technically anything you add to your car in most states could be considered a vehicle code violation. That disclosure prevents anyone from coming back to them and saying you have to pay my ticket as you never said I could not change this item from factory configuration.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

CrashTestDummy wrote: After changing plugs on our Tahoe, I'm now pretty sensitive to spark plug access, and it seems that this mod puts the heater hoses in the way of that, especially the back plugs. Bright shiny metal gets my attention, but I'm still thinking about this mod.
For sure plug access is an issue. Would have to be removed at the firewall for plug changes. For me that will mean maybe every 50K miles. And I would most likely put in new coolant at that time anyway. So to me every 3 years or so disconnection of some hoses aint that bad. But I know some of you racer guys might have more frequent plug changes.

I was just working on the drivers side coils last night, very nice plug access on that side.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White