Let's open the flood gates of discussion, shall we? CAI ...

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
leadfart

Re: Let's open the flood gates of discussion, shall we? CAI

Post by leadfart »

I don't worry about any of this, boost, boost!! :lol:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

This is nothing more than an unscientific observation, without any data saved. Just me having time to screw around...

When I installed the RotoFab G8 CAI I noticed a lot of things. Besides sealing up the lid, the cavity that surrounds the lower air inlet triangle has the ability to pull air from the engine compartment pretty easily. I used some 1/2" white foam to create walls that sealed this cavity from the lower plastic shield that runs wheel to wheel under the radiator up the sides of the CAI. I then opened up the fog light filler panel a little more than what the factory had. There are open slots on the bottom side of the molded horizontal ribs. I just used a drill to add more holes. I also added a deflector to direct the air into these holes as the air traveled across the face of the bumper.
I did have my HPtuners hooked up to see the IAT's. Without the CAI isolated from the hot engine air it would take a long time if ever to drop to a temp close to ambient. With the CAI isolated the IAT's would drop to within 10-15 degrees of ambient air. I have also used an IR thermal gun to measure the cone filter temp, the wall temp of the CAI and the air inlet elbow just ahead of the throttle body. All three would exhibit signs of a heat soaking from idling and normal driving. At idle, we probably aren't drawing enough air to cool down the inlet pathway. And, even at a cruising RPM are we drawing enough air to really get enough air to cool the CAI components? I would just guess that a CAI kit does help, but maybe not as much as we think. Keep in mind also that the computer has the ability to adjust a lot of things dependent on several inputs available.
So, is the CAI kit for fuel injection the "new" flip-the-aircleaner-lid-over trick?

For your pondering....

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Bowtie Junkman

Post by Bowtie Junkman »

FYI ... I plugged my scan tool in and came up with these IAT results ... just in case someone with a CAI has done this post-install and has some numbers to compare ...
My car is a 2011 9C3 with 29K miles on the clock ... all original under the hood ... just modded the exhaust so far ..

Drive to work here in So Cal ... all street driving ... about a 20-minute ride ... 6:30am ... weather was overcast and 68 degrees outside ...
After sitting since the night before, first 5 minutes of running/driving the temps hovered around 75 degrees. 10-15 minutes of driving in, when stopped at red light, temps at 88-91, and while moving 85-88. On a long straight, getting up to about 65mph, temps went down to 84-86. Last few minutes of the drive, temps stayed around 95-98 and topped out at 100 when I parked in our lot, just before shutting the car down.

On the drive home, weather was sunny and 82 degrees at 4:00pm. On start-up, while baking in the sun all day, temps started out at about 99 degrees. About halfway thru the drive home, temps topped out at about 127 degrees while stopped at a light, and went down to a consistent 118 while driving. A "spirited" acceleration from a light in one stretch brought it down to 111 ...

Next ....
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Not sure if this should go here, or another thread, since it's NOT CAI, per se, but just an intake tube, but since this is a general discussion of air intakes, I'll go ahead and post this here. Since there is already a cold air snorkel to the air box on the stock intake system, I'm wondering if this would help things any:

http://store.yellaterra.com.au/holden-v ... e-maf-kit/

It's just the tube that goes between the MAF and TB. Sort of like the Air Raid MIT for the GM trucks. We have one of those on our Tahoe, and really like the sound/performance when mated to the stock airbox with a drop-in K&N.

The Caprice is a VF chassis, right? If so, I think I'll be placing an order soon. Any reason I shouldn't?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

CrashTestDummy wrote:The Caprice is a VF chassis, right?
Caprice
2011-2013 - WM
2014-2016 - WN

Commodore/G8/SS
2013 & older - VE
2014 & newer - VF

Underhood configuration is similar but not identical - V8 vs V8 - in the two platform variants (VE/WM & VF/WN). The component location and dimensions for all 4 chassis (US models) are essentially the same from the B-pillar forward--front doors are same length on all 4 iterations, for example.

Chassis component designs for VF & WN are same generation, as are VE & WM. Not ALL changes made to VF carry over to WN, such as front struts & uprights (knuckles), brakes, sway bars, etc. There is still a good bit of cross commonality that allows VF/WN parts to back-fit to VE/WM & vice-versa.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

So if they're saying that pipe fits:

HOLDEN V8 L98-LS3 6.0L/6.2L VE-VF

Then we may have a viable option here for the Caprice?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I'm inclined to say yes, but the right way to confirm is to look up the PN for what was/is used on VE (G8), VF (SS) and see if there's commonality with the PN of the stock part (duct/pipe) for the model year of your PPV, whether WM or WN.

So I looked it up, and here's what I found:

http://www.iamgmparts.com/chevrolet/ss/ ... utlet-duct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.iamgmparts.com/chevrolet/cap ... utlet-duct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.iamgmparts.com/pontiac/g8/92 ... utlet-duct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Well okay then. As soon as I recover from my coil-over purchase, I'll be placing an order for this part.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?