VVT or not?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Crazy Paul

Re: VVT or not?

Post by Crazy Paul »

9C1fanatic wrote:I'm sorry. I was wrong. Maybe I was thinking about the L 76 but then again it's supposed to be a very similar engine to the L 77 I could've sworn I remember reading in GM high tech performance magazine that some of the L 76 engines in the G8 had some warranty issues with some type of cam phaser that was part I assume of the VVT system. I'll try to do my research before I post next time Sorry guys
There's a 6.0 Vortec truck engine that was labelled L76 and was in use around the same time as the 6.0 L76 car engine which went into G8-GT.
The truck L76 has VVT, the car L76 does not have VVT.
L77 is just the car L76 with flex fuel capability added.
--It's dead easy to spot VVT on L Series engines because the front timing cover is thicker at the top, which pushes the water pump, harmonic balancer, belts, forward a couple of inches.

No VVT

With VVT

Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

CP, pretty sure you're referring to LY6, not L76. LY6 is VVT 6.0 truck application.

I've never seen GM use the same engine designation/code on 2 different engines in production in the same engine family.
Crazy Paul wrote:There's a 6.0 Vortec truck engine that was labelled L76 and was in use around the same time as the 6.0 L76 car engine which went into G8-GT.
The truck L76 has VVT, the car L76 does not have VVT.
Crazy Paul

Post by Crazy Paul »

Navy Lifer wrote:I've never seen GM use the same engine designation/code on 2 different engines in production in the same engine family.
You have now.
Click this: http://www.ls-guy.com/l76/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you can get into GM Media Archive from around 2008 you'll find all the spec sheets and data for both the Truck L76 and the car L76.