Mild build plans

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Hendo

Mild build plans

Post by Hendo »

It's been a while since I have posted in here. I moved to Dallas, TX from GA in NOV. Since I got here I have been spending a lot of time with the local DFW G8 club and with a few other car groups online. I purchased an LS3 cam+yellow beehive springs, extra timing gear, chain tensioner and intake elbow from a Camaro SS owner for $50. I plan on installing the cam+springs while retaining the AFM lifters, 160 t-stat, Manzo headers, finishing my CAI with the Camaro elbow and a 90 from the mass airflow sensor to a K&N filter in the lower bumper with the "fog light plug" removed and a backing to keep under hood heat out. I am also buying some flanges, double tips , using a pair of resonators I have and fabbing an axle back. Once I get all the mods on I am taking the car to a local guy for a "Redneck tune" for the cost of the credits for HP Tuning. I expect to spend $600 and gain at least 60whp. I still want to turbo the car in the future but, I want to do this for the summer to have some extra power in the car. I am buying a set of 5 spoke 18x8 G8 18s tomorrow for $200, I have a set Bowtie center caps for the wheels too. I have been running 275/35 18s on my stock rear wheels, the 25.5" vs stock 27.1" overall diameter makes the 2.92 act like a 3.10 axle. I will swap these tires onto the G8 wheels. Once I actually have the ECU retuned for the shorter tire along with the other mods the car should hook and run really strong. I could always add a set of 1.85 Yella Terra rockers, shim the beehives(or run CC918s) and swap in a set of longer pushrods. I am waiting around to find a set of 1.85 rockers used if I can the cheapest I can find them new is $525 shipped and that's not the best hp per dollar. It is looking like I may have to delete the oil cooler as well though a G8 owner claims the Manzos worked with the oil cooler on his car.(I am skeptical to say the least) There is now a 6-8 week wait for the Manzo headers which are the same design as the Pypes tri-Y headers , cost $150 less and work with the stock mid piping. Should be back in stock just i time for the weather to get decent and for me to get the rest of the puzzle pieces together. What do yall think about this ambitious low buck project? :?:
GTObert

Re: Mild build plans

Post by GTObert »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the LS3 cam a 3 bolt core, making it incompatible with the AFM system?
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

GTObert is absolutely right

question why would you want to keep the afm anyways? just get rid of it
GTObert

Post by GTObert »

There seems to be a prevailing theory here that the AFM is a good thing. I'm skeptical to say the least. A few shop owners I know have reported some serious long term problems they suspect are caused by this system. Plus, after deactivating mine I saw no noticeable reduction in mileage. It always seemed to me that it never stayed in 4 cylinder mode very long because it just didn't make enough power to keep the car going 70. It constantly switched back and forth, which was really irritating.

Also, headers that fit the 2014+ SS will fit your car and not require messing with the oil cooler. I wouldn't remove something like that if I were you, though many people have.
2011 9C1
2005 GTO
Hendo

Post by Hendo »

The LS3 cam is one bolt. I am using it so I can swap to a higher lift, longer duration without doing an AFM delete to save money. I am going to have the AFM tuned off to get rid of the bad sound and reduce stress on the lifters. I'm not spending for SS headers.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just a few comments on the AFM.... I've left it intact & enabled... for right now... since I did the 3.45 rear swap it does help somewhat for a bit more fuel economy. I've not modded the engine so my engine/tranny powertrain warranty "should" still be in force until 100K. With the RPM shift using 3.45's plus the fact that I'm using the SLP Powerflo mufflers, the one-octave shift I get from AFM with my slight drone is tolerable. Bill's driven my car for an unbiased opinion. So if the lifters grenade or start majorly clacking it should be covered under powertrain. I've got 55K on the car right now and about a year & 1/2 left on the powertrain if I remember correctly before it times out on date.

I've heard completely different stories from both ends of the spectrum on AFM. Howard Tanner from Redline Motorsports in Pompano Beach is of the opinion it needs to go. Immediately. Open up the motor and pull those AFM lifters OUT. I had the pleasure of meeting him little bit over two years ago at a G8 day he ran at his shop. His shop is a very good, professional operation (he does development for GM as well) and I highly value his opinion. But, from the other side I've heard the old "don't fix it if it isn't broken" argument be made as well. And, if I open the motor to pull the lifters, at that point the remaining warranty is bye bye.

Hard choice to make.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

When (if) I do a cam swap, I'm going all the way and taking out the AFM lifters. They're crap and don't take much lift at all. I think it's pretty well accepted that AFM will lead to and/or increase oil consumption as well. Nothing good comes from them, as most people can't tell much if any fuel economy increase either. I'll probably do other bolt-ons and a tune until I hear any noise or get problems from the lifters, then it's all going out the window.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel