Has anyone swapped motors in a PPV yet?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
eagle-co94

Has anyone swapped motors in a PPV yet?

Post by eagle-co94 »

I'm considering dropping an LS2/3/6 into my PPV because it's a flood car and the motor is currently locked up. I have a line on a few different motors and I'm looking to see if any of these motors would be easier to swap than others. I would think the LS3 would be considered the most current and easiest swap but I'm not sure if it would make that much of a difference. I'm sure a tune would be necessary, but would there be much tuning actually needed? Of course if it needs something I figured it would be a good time for a nice performance tune.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Has anyone swapped motors in a PPV yet?

Post by Navy Lifer »

James, definitely LS3, without question--ECM compatibility is best. LS2/6 are GenIII (cathedral port heads), may or may not be 24x, where LS3 (GenIV) is 58x as is L77.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

You could drop in an LS7 no problem... just have to tune it... Our heads bolt right up to them....

Later!
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Thanks for the info Bill!

Thanks for the tip Tom. Sadly I don't have an LS7 budget at the moment. I might be tempted to sell the DeLorean in order to pick up a salvage V2 or ZL1 so that I can install an LSA though!
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

You could just do an LS7 short-block, and use your current heads...

Later,
Tom Slick
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Check this one out...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/4624664665.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Later,
Tom Slick
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Interesting but I'd rather buy a whole car and strip/scrap everything I don't need. In the end the motor cost tends to be lower.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

My vote for what it's worth is the LS3 swap due to compatability/adaptability, availability, and because no one here to my knowledge has done one yet. Take it your borescope viewing didn't come back well on the L77...... sorry to hear that.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

I haven't had a chance to use the smaller diameter one yet. Been busy this last week, had a 3 day drill weekend and I'll be making up days this week and half of next week. I'm going to try and take a peek this weekend, weather permitting.
gregc

Post by gregc »

I'd use an an LS3 or an L99. You could always use your FEAD and reuse your harness, coils, injectors, intake manifold and heads. The only thing is that you can no longer use E-85. If you use an LS1 or LS2, you'll have to convert it to a 58x reluctor wheel.