Has anyone swapped motors in a PPV yet?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
eagle-co94

Re: Has anyone swapped motors in a PPV yet?

Post by eagle-co94 »

Thanks for the tips! I don't plan on ever using E85 honestly. I don't see the logic in getting lower performance, worse mileage and then having to pay more per mile.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

no matter what engine you go with you can still use E85 with a proper tune... as long as you have enough fuel, which should be fine unless you go big power. Also E85 does burn more per mile, but does NOT lower performance.. It's actually good for more power and torque. It's like race gas but cheaper. I will be using E85 after i upgrade my fuel pump and lines. I expect to gain 50ish Hp out of it.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

I haven't heard of any gains like that but if my fuel consumption ends up going up 15-25% that's a step backward for me. Strange thing...I had a guy at my house asking me if I needed any race gas last night...out of the blue and never met him before.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

It basically the same concept as running a higher octane. more resistant to detonation theretofore you can add more timing. I think E85 is somewhere around 110 octane... Also it has more oxygen in the fuel so it is a cooler burn, which also helps with detonation. You do need an experienced tuner though because it actually doesn't detonate... Well it does but by that point you've done too much damage. Basically a good dyno tune is almost required to get the max gains out of it.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

Back on this topic. Yesterday i bought a block to start my build a genIV iron 6.0. 500 WHP is cool don't get me wrong, but not as cool as 800. Will be stroked/bored/forged/cammed and boosted to the moon. Of course this is all depending on finances, but so far it looks good.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

What are you doing with the old motor?
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

Haven't decided yet. Possibly sell the short block, possibly save it for my truck. I will be using the heads and intake for the new build. Whatever it is it wont be coming out until spring at best.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
gregc

Post by gregc »

greasychevy wrote:Back on this topic. Yesterday i bought a block to start my build a genIV iron 6.0. 500 WHP is cool don't get me wrong, but not as cool as 800. Will be stroked/bored/forged/cammed and boosted to the moon. Of course this is all depending on finances, but so far it looks good.
Well at least you can swap over the Gen IV parts over to the iron block. I have an LQ9 going in an 85 Delta 88 Coupe. I wanted to use LS3 components on it, but realized I'd have to change out all the Gen 3 parts out for Gen 4 parts. I ended up going LS2 instead so I can reuse all the Escalade parts specific to a Gen 3. Not only that, I wanted drive by cable and the LS3 ECM doesn't support DBC.
greasychevy

Post by greasychevy »

Yup! I was going to go with an LS3 but then i found this block for sale. You can use Make a gen III work, but IMO its just not worth the headache.
2011 9c1 Hugo Blue
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Well let me know if you find any cheap LS3 motors. In the meantime I'm l'm looking for a totalled G8 GXP or Camaro SS to pull the motor from and strip the rest. I'd prefer a V2 or ZL1 but that's not in the budget. :(