Has anyone swapped motors in a PPV yet?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
eagle-co94

Re: Has anyone swapped motors in a PPV yet?

Post by eagle-co94 »

So it looks like a wrecked Camaro SS is in my future to strip for parts. That is unless someone here knows much about the Gen V LT1 motor. I think putting an LT1 into a PPV would be pretty awesome and be quite amusing when I tell people I have an "LT1 Caprice."
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Or better, an LT4!! :shock:

I've given it a cursory look, and it looks like the pieces that would interact with the vehicle it's in are pretty 'LS-like', but the devil is in the detail. I think GM has just started offering LT1/LT4 crate motors, but they're expensive and not a lot of them are out there yet.

But the engine is supposed to be a little lighter than even the all-aluminum LS1, which can only help. It would be in interesting project, but I bet you'll have to be able to eat some parts to get things running.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Yeah, I'm not a trailblazer when it comes to modding cars. I've got BBHP kit #123 on my Impala SS because of that very reason. I think LS3 is what's going to happen as it seems to be the easiest/best direct swap for the money (although an L99 would be fine too).
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
gregc

Post by gregc »

I wanted to put an LT1 Gen V in my 78 Impala coupe and my garage was willing to do it. But I'd have to do all the research on it. I started the research for the swap and what I found was that I should stick to an LS3. LT1s don't come with power steering pumps because the Stingray and the trucks are electric assist. I found a company that makes electric power steering using an aftermarket steering column. Then there's the issue with the motor mount adapters, the oil pan fitting on my car. So I said forget it, I'll let someone else be the pioneer for the LT1. I settled for an LS3 E-Rod. I don't like financing builds with parts that need to be fabricated. I prefer to use off the shelf parts or parts interchange from another car.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Greg,

It seems to me that unless the block or heads are so different or have no threaded bosses for mounting hydraulic pump, that it should be possible to do a FEAD (front end accessory drive) based on LS3 or from Chevy Performance Parts catalog kits. 2014 SS sedan and 2014 PPV have LS engines with electric PS....and if the LT1 crate engine is intended to be a backfit item (which it is), I would think that IF the FEAD is that different, there is either a new kit or one in the works from GM for that purpose is going to fix this--eventually.

PN 19329990, as you indicated, does not include PS, but if you look at the significant number of FEAD kits for LS engines, there will eventually have to be a kit with PS pump for LT engine configuration.

Since you've already committed to the E-Rod, problem solved--nice move!
gregc

Post by gregc »

Navy Lifer wrote:Greg,

It seems to me that unless the block or heads are so different or have no threaded bosses for mounting hydraulic pump, that it should be possible to do a FEAD (front end accessory drive) based on LS3 or from Chevy Performance Parts catalog kits. 2014 SS sedan and 2014 PPV have LS engines with electric PS....and if the LT1 crate engine is intended to be a backfit item (which it is), I would think that IF the FEAD is that different, there is either a new kit or one in the works from GM for that purpose is going to fix this--eventually.

PN 19329990, as you indicated, does not include PS, but if you look at the significant number of FEAD kits for LS engines, there will eventually have to be a kit with PS pump for LT engine configuration.

Since you've already committed to the E-Rod, problem solved--nice move!
I spoke with the people at Speartech, a company that's done LT1 upgrades and harness. He tells me the mounting holes on the heads, oil pan, engine mount holes are different from LS based engines. Gen 3 & 4 engines came with hydraulic power steering pumps, so people who do use a salvage yard engine can just reuse the FEAD. Gen 5 engines never came with hydraulic power steering pumps. I'm sure it can be retrofitted with a power steering pump, but for now there is no aftermarket company that offers it.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

James, It's not noted here, and it may be over budget, but you've seen the 9C1 that the guy at Hendrick Motorsports dropped the LS7 into, right? So, it's done, and it looked factory.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Or better, an LT4!! :shock:

I've given it a cursory look, and it looks like the pieces that would interact with the vehicle it's in are pretty 'LS-like', but the devil is in the detail. I think GM has just started offering LT1/LT4 crate motors, but they're expensive and not a lot of them are out there yet.

But the engine is supposed to be a little lighter than even the all-aluminum LS1, which can only help. It would be in interesting project, but I bet you'll have to be able to eat some parts to get things running.
Dont, LTX series are Global A your PPV is GMLAN, tons of issues.
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Nothing a dongle and a string of serially-attached converters can't fix! :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Well my budget just changed since I sold my Delorean on St Patrick's day. I'm now looking at the Camaro SS, ZL1, CTS-V, Corvette base and Z06 as possible engine donor cars. :mrgreen: