Dod delete +cam and headers upgrade

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
badluckkevin

Dod delete +cam and headers upgrade

Post by badluckkevin »

Hey guys ive got a 2012 caprice and i plan to do a dod delete and add an ls9 cam. Im also going to be upgrading the oil pump to a mellings 10355. I am having issues picking a timing kit and even worse time finding headers and exhaust combo for this project so i need some advice on what to pick there... I also wanted to know if the trunnion kit was worth it for this project... I'm gonna attach here what ive picked out so far and tell me what you guys think? Im looking for some more power than stock (400ish) , some nice sound going down the road and most importantly reliability which is why I'm getting rid of the DOD. Thank you
Attachments
Screenshot_20221009-200101_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221009-200101_Chrome.jpg (306.92 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
BluesBro

Re: Dod delete +cam and headers upgrade

Post by BluesBro »

Solo performance makes some very very nice exhaust systems for the caprice.
The only headers that I personally like the fit of is the JBA, but I have not had first hand experience with the new speed engineering headers, those might be a good option. Some fab work will need to be done to attach headers to the rest of the exhaust.
I believe kooks still makes a complete system headers and all, but it is expensive. I do not have experience with that setup.

That cam should support 400hp as long as you are not at high altitude. The trunion upgrade is worth it in my opinion just for peace of mind especially if you are going to turn the RPM limit up.

You will probably want to look into some sort of intake option. I had a serious bottleneck after doing the TSP stage 1 cam and exhaust, stock air filter and intake were sapping a large amount of airflow.
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
Ridgeppv

Post by Ridgeppv »

Do trunnion upgrade.
Ls2 timing gear
C5R timing chain
Get LS3 hollow stem valves
Your stock pump is fine.
Block the oil bypass in the oil pan
Speed engineering just released long tube headers and x pipe that connects into your stock exhaust.
Last edited by Ridgeppv on Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014 6.0L BTR Stage 2 Cam, DOD Delete, 3.45 diff, long tube headers, VCM OTR Intake
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Go to a high volume pump. Because of the DOD hardware still present, you will get lower pressure other wise.

Dump the stock timing chain tensioner and use the older block style to avoid that failure.

For exhaust, any Chevy SS header set will work on the Caprice. I used Maximizer and the only thing that needed to be done was dimpling a tube to clear the steering shaft. SS exhaust systems will also fit except that the tailpipes will need to be extended. I used a JBA system.

Mine makes 400hp with the stock cam so I'd expect more from a better cam. A good tuner can work miracles.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Ridgeppv

Post by Ridgeppv »

Mooseman wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:40 pm Go to a high volume pump. Because of the DOD hardware still present, you will get lower pressure other wise.
Not true about low pressure when using stock oil pump
2014 6.0L BTR Stage 2 Cam, DOD Delete, 3.45 diff, long tube headers, VCM OTR Intake
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Stock is high volume. First hand experience, when I did a DOD delete on my 06 5.3 9-7x, I used a stock volume pump and my pressure dropped to the point that I got an code for low pressure. I had no pressure issues before. Put in a high volume pump, problem solved. Did the same on my 08 L77 Avalanche, no problem.

However, looking at Melling's part numbers, the 10355 is the one recommended so it is the "standard" high volume. But, if this is a high mileage or high hours engine, I would go with the 10355HV higher volume version just to be sure it can keep up with the possible extra internal clearances caused by wear.
Melling.jpg
Melling.jpg (225.07 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

You probably don't want ls7 rockers (they won't work on "LS3 style" heads). They have different geometry. L77's (Caprice 6.0) is essentially an LS3 that is "de-bored". LS3 rockers are more appropriate. Exhaust is straight, Intake is offset.

I might avoid the LS9 cam. The LS9 has a very wide LSA and was engineered for use with a supercharger. You'll idle nice but you might not like the power curve. Below 5000 RPM, most other cams are better. Richard Holdener has videos where he discusses LS9 cam performance (on a dyno) relative to other factory and aftermarket cams. Here's one of the videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boQYXrx2n0I. The good news is that LS9 cams are cheap.

Here are some inexpensive headers that "in theory" work on Caprice's. Someone wrote in the comments that you don't have to remove your oil cooler (good news as lots of headers require the removal or relocation of the oil cooler): https://speed-engineering.com/collectio ... 2l-engines
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

G8 headers WILL require removal of the oil cooler. Stick with SS headers as they are designed to work with the cooler in place.
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

GammaFlat wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:52 am You probably don't want ls7 rockers (they won't work on "LS3 style" heads). They have different geometry. L77's (Caprice 6.0) is essentially an LS3 that is "de-bored". LS3 rockers are more appropriate. Exhaust is straight, Intake is offset.

I might avoid the LS9 cam. The LS9 has a very wide LSA and was engineered for use with a supercharger. You'll idle nice but you might not like the power curve. Below 5000 RPM, most other cams are better. Richard Holdener has videos where he discusses LS9 cam performance (on a dyno) relative to other factory and aftermarket cams. Here's one of the videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boQYXrx2n0I. The good news is that LS9 cams are cheap.

Here are some inexpensive headers that "in theory" work on Caprice's. Someone wrote in the comments that you don't have to remove your oil cooler (good news as lots of headers require the removal or relocation of the oil cooler): https://speed-engineering.com/collectio ... 2l-engines
X2. Keep your stock rockers and just get a trunion kit. Also get a better cam. Have TSP spec you one out or go with a LS3 N/A stage 1. And go with LS2 style chain tensioner. One less point of failure. Or make it even easier and email/call TSP and they will spec you out everything you need. I did that with BTR. Only thing is they recommended a stage 3 cam which I felt was too much and went to a stage 2.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Ctuck21

Post by Ctuck21 »

What would running a stage 3 cam as a daily driver do as opposed to a lower cam?
2014 Caprice
2006 Silverado 2500HD LBZ
1965 Ford Falcon