DOD DELETE HELP!!!!!

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
jschoolcraft

DOD DELETE HELP!!!!!

Post by jschoolcraft »

I did the dod delete on my 13 ppv I already had a plug in chip to deactivate afm. I did the cam swap and put it all back together with new lifters. Valley plate changed to one that blocks off the ports fired up and Misfire …. So I unplugged the coil packs see if one was bad turns out the 4 cylinders are deactivated when afm is operating is deactivated? It’s like it’s in 4 cylinder mode with my chip plugged in??? Any ideas please help.
Mooseman

Re: DOD DELETE HELP!!!!!

Post by Mooseman »

What plug in are you using? If it's the Range, I don't think it was designed for actual deletes, only to prevent DOD from activating on a system that's still in place. You would need a tune.

Try unplugging the DOD disabler and see if it works properly. You will get the CEL for the missing DOD stuff but it won't try to activate it.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
jschoolcraft

Post by jschoolcraft »

Ok I found a solution on another page. They said if you’re using a disabler you have to plug in the afm solenoids. You can either tuck it away with it plugged in or use your original valley plate and plug the afm towers. And it does work that way because I plugged it in and it runs just as it should. My only question is why would you need to plug the holes if the solenoids aren’t operating bc of the disabler?

And thank you for replying! I appreciate all the help I can get.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I second Mooseman, it's tune time. You already spent the money on the cam and to open the motor, do the job completely and excise the AFM demons all together. Plus if you changed any specs with the cam from OEM to new you're probably going to want to re-tune anyway.

Don't put lipstick on a pig, finish the job :) Kudos for the effort to get that AFM nastiness out of there btw!

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

jschoolcraft wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:24 pm Ok I found a solution on another page. They said if you’re using a disabler you have to plug in the afm solenoids. You can either tuck it away with it plugged in or use your original valley plate and plug the afm towers. And it does work that way because I plugged it in and it runs just as it should. My only question is why would you need to plug the holes if the solenoids aren’t operating bc of the disabler?

And thank you for replying! I appreciate all the help I can get.
Oil pressure is the reason to remove the solenoids, I don't know if they are normally open or closed but basically if you left them in you'd run the risk of oil pressure loss if they failed.

Definitely get it tuned, you will see a drastic difference, not just in power but in general driveablilty.

What cam did you go with?
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
jschoolcraft

Post by jschoolcraft »

I went with a non afm cam it was all in a kit from AMS Racing.. so I bought the plugs for the afm towers and used the old valley cover and now the car runs great.