AFM?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Tom Slick

Re: AFM?

Post by Tom Slick »

That is interesting... my 2012 allows me to see the cylinder mode...

Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Steve, no promises but I know some cluster work is being done behind the scenes. You should request to have all of your firmwares checked and updated to the latest revisions, especially if the car is still under warranty and see what happens. There are upgraded firmwares for things like the Holden iQ for instance (there's a revision D104 in the early 2011 stereos and a revision D105 in the later units). No one has ever really forced the issue with a dealer or GM customer service yet that I know of on how we make sure we have all the current flashes for the car. I know it's a pain in the rump for a dealer to flash the car, but if it's still under warranty you should be entitled to the latest firmware I would think.

I know for the 2012 clusters there was programming added for the DIC so that total hours run and hours idle could be displayed as a menu selection. Just as a sidebar, I was thinking about adding an hour meter to the 12VDC (hot while key-on) line in the trunk so I could see total key-on hours. I'd just run it right across the same line as my airhorn amp is on, it'd take 5 minutes.

For what it's worth just my .02!

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

SBRMD wrote:So, had the car in to the dealer while the regional factory tech rep was in the house. Opinion was that the car has AFM, but that by the build date of my car, the software in the DIC had been updated to delete the ability to monitor the AFM status. I pointed out that I have a relatively early VIN for 2011, and that others on this board seem to have AFM on their menus, and all I got was a shrug. Not very satisfying.
My car is the same as yours. I don't have the ability to see the AFM status either. I can tell when the car is running on four cylinders by a slight shudder in idle and a different sound at cruising speed but no way to bring up the status display.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
nick brown

Post by nick brown »

has anyone found a programmer for this car to deal with the AFM?
2011 CHEVY CAPRICE PPV 9C1 (FIRST OWNER)
2008 CHEVY SEDAN LT
1996 IMPALA SS
1964 IMPALA SS 2 DOOR HARD TOP
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Yes, with HP Tuners, you can disable it, in about ten seconds. :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hey Nick, welcome aboard! I'll verify what Bob said, if you can get someone with HP Tuners to have a go at your car it's a simple matter to kill the AFM, and at the same time get rid of the nasty speed limiter. Who wants to have their fuel pressure cut at 150 MPH??? (GRIN) There's a few of us that have it here, but unfortunately we need the car in front of us to hook you up plus there's a fee per VIN to unlock the VIN for your car in the programming interface that's paid to the HP folks.

You can get a basic version on EBAY the cheapest if you watch the auctions, that's how I picked mine up. Or, try Craigslist as sometimes they pop up there....

Again, welcome!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

What speed limiter? :-)

Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

I was wondering as me and the wife return from a nice little road trip . Does the AFM have to be disabled to increase the horsepower on the Caprice ? Doesn't the Charger and it's twin the 300 have its own version of the AFM ? And it makes more power than the Caprice . Just a tad bit curious to see what you guys have found or know about this . Thanks in advance . Maybe I should have started a new thread , sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place .
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

AFM only kicks in, with certain parameters. Mainly, highway speeds on nice, smooth roads. Any throttle at all, keeps you in non-AFM mode. Most of the time, you will be in non-AFM mode. I have it disabled on my blower application, and one of these days, I'll do the conversion, and remove the AFM activation lifters.

It does not hurt the valve train at all, to disable AFM. In fact, it may prolong the life of the lifters, in question. I never really observed that much better mileage on my PPV, before I did the blower. I actually get almost the same highway mileage with the blower, as I did NA. YMMV :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

That's basically what I am asking is it necessary to have it shut off to get into the higher horsepower numbers ? Seems it would come in handy for those long highway trips and you are still pushing 400 plus ponies . It may not be possible , it was something I thought about on my 12hr drive home and knowing some of the things I want to do to my caprice later .