AFM?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
SBRMD

AFM?

Post by SBRMD »

So, all of our cars are supposed to have AFM, right from the beginning of production, right?

My owner's manual makes reference to the "cylinder mode" that can be displayed through the personalization features of the trip computer, but when I access that menu in the trip computer, "cyliner mode" is not displayed/included. Neither is there any reference to cylinder mode in the "engineering mode" displays. Is it posible that my car doesn't have AFM? Anybody else encountering similar? My car is an early one , #289, in-service date 12/21/10.

Thanks in advance,
Steve in Mpls.
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN
'11 PPV 9C3 Phantom Black Metallic
elc32955
System Manager

Re: AFM?

Post by elc32955 »

There should be an option in your trip computer setup to allow display of the engine mode, at least there is on mine. I can rotate to a display that comes up on the same screen as the fuel economy which indicates 4-cylinder mode or 8-cylinder mode. I know when I've been in engineering mode that the cylinder activation/deactivation comes up. When I programmed the trip computer I set some of the options up such as disabling trap mode, activating the cylinder display, etc etc. I'd have to sit in front of it to remember all the programming options.

Your car is a little different, I remember on the stereo discussion you had an early model if you have the red Holden lion coming up on start. I haven't heard of a Caprice with AFM de-activated except by an after market programming, but yours could be an exception. There had to be a bunch of test cars, I know if you look on Youtube there is a very early Caprice featured on a video there that has different air conditioning controls then we do.

The 2012 cars have slightly different programming, for example there is an hour meter incorporated into the cluster that shows total run hours and total idle hours. That option was requested by the Fleet advisory group to better track the run time on the cars. For 2013 I think it's all a carry-over from 2012 without mods.
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

I had to enable the display in the menu options of my 2011. It was disabled by default in the regular display. It's also in the engineering mode. Mine's a pretty early 2011 (2/2011 prod date). But not a beta car.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
SBRMD

Post by SBRMD »

How did you do that, Tom? I don't seem to even have the choice displayed on my customization menu or my engineering mode menu. Did you have both?
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

SBRMD wrote:How did you do that, Tom? I don't seem to even have the choice displayed on my customization menu or my engineering mode menu. Did you have both?
It's not in an intuitive location in the menus. It's under Customize Options -> Trip Computer -> Cyl Mode (you need to scroll way down under the Trip Computer menu, there are a bunch of options above it before you see the Cyl Mode, just scroll down far enough by rolling the selection wheel). Why they buried it there, I have no idea. Cylinder mode has nothing to do with the trip computer.

Interestingly, it should just show up in engineering mode no matter what the customization settings are. I assume (by your message) that you know how to get into engineering mode?

If you still can't find it, then perhaps you can go to a dealership and ask for a software update. I couldn't imagine you got a L76 engine instead of a L77. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the biggest difference between the two engines? If your RPO says L77, it should support AFM.

Did you look on your door jamb for the production date? What is it? I know you listed the "in service date", but I'd be curious about the prod date compared to mine. Two months doesn't seem like much...especially for a run of several hundred cars for the entire 2011 model year.
gregc

Post by gregc »

L76 has AFM. The difference is L77 is E 85 capable.
storm9c1 wrote:
SBRMD wrote:How did you do that, Tom? I don't seem to even have the choice displayed on my customization menu or my engineering mode menu. Did you have both?
It's not in an intuitive location in the menus. It's under Customize Options -> Trip Computer -> Cyl Mode (you need to scroll way down under the Trip Computer menu, there are a bunch of options above it before you see the Cyl Mode, just scroll down far enough by rolling the selection wheel). Why they buried it there, I have no idea. Cylinder mode has nothing to do with the trip computer.

Interestingly, it should just show up in engineering mode no matter what the customization settings are. I assume (by your message) that you know how to get into engineering mode?

If you still can't find it, then perhaps you can go to a dealership and ask for a software update. I couldn't imagine you got a L76 engine instead of a L77. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the biggest difference between the two engines? If your RPO says L77, it should support AFM.

Did you look on your door jamb for the production date? What is it? I know you listed the "in service date", but I'd be curious about the prod date compared to mine. Two months doesn't seem like much...especially for a run of several hundred cars for the entire 2011 model year.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

gregc wrote:L76 has AFM. The difference is L77 is E 85 capable.
Thanks. I stand corrected. I guess the early Holden L76 didn't have AFM but the G8 did, and then was retrofitted into the Holdens thereafter. So this deepens the mystery as to why it would be disabled on his car if it's been standard for a few years now.
SBRMD

Post by SBRMD »

That's exactly where I went looking for it Tom, and it's not there. Ditto engineering mode. Strange. I guess next stop is the dealer. Still waiting (weeks) for them to get an answer about my goofy radio, I can only imagine the results of a question like this one....
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN
Crazy Paul

Post by Crazy Paul »

storm9c1 wrote:
gregc wrote:L76 has AFM. The difference is L77 is E 85 capable.
I guess the early Holden L76 didn't have AFM but the G8 did, and then was retrofitted into the Holdens thereafter.
Some 2006 VZ Holdens had L76 with AFM hardware but no software and the LOMA wasn't plugged into anything.
2007-2008 Holden went with L98 engines which had no AFM hardware fitted.
2008 Pontiac G8-GT with L76 was the first Holden made car to have fully functional AFM.
Holden re-introduced the L76 into Automatic transmission cars only in 2009 & continued to use the L98 in all manual trans cars till 2010.
2011 all the Holdens regardless of transmission use L77.
SBRMD

Post by SBRMD »

So, had the car in to the dealer while the regional factory tech rep was in the house. Opinion was that the car has AFM, but that by the build date of my car, the software in the DIC had been updated to delete the ability to monitor the AFM status. I pointed out that I have a relatively early VIN for 2011, and that others on this board seem to have AFM on their menus, and all I got was a shrug. Not very satisfying.
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN