DTC P0106 and P0118 appeared after car been parked for a month ??

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Capeasy

DTC P0106 and P0118 appeared after car been parked for a month ??

Post by Capeasy »

Well after parking my "13", placed the car cover and a battery tender on it for about a month I get in it to fire it up and get the "Check Engine" Light on and it's running like crap. When I parked it a month ago it ran like a champ, WTH? So I put my scan tool on it and get the P0106 (MAP Sensor) and P0118 (Engine Coolant Sensor) codes. Could it be a coincidence that two sensors failed at the same time? I kept the battery voltage between 11.5V and 12.4V During the short storage period, So I figured I'd start checking voltage to the two sensors and then Ohms resistance. Does anyone have or know the wiring codes or polarity of these two plugs ? I read on YouTube to start by checking for 5 Volts at the plug. I assume with the key in the run position, Just not sure which of the 3 wires on the MAP are the positive or ground or trigger?
Thanks for any help on diagnosing this mysterious issue that just reared its ugly head. lol
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
BluesBro

Re: DTC P0106 and P0118 appeared after car been parked for a month ??

Post by BluesBro »

Rodents a problem in your area? I have not looked at the wiring diagram, but due to proximity both sensors probably share a ground, so I would start by verifying ground continuity to both sensors and if its no good, either look for a chewed wire or a corroded ground. Is your MAF a 3 wire unit? I thought all the L77s got the 5wire MAF/IAT combo, if it is here is the pinout.
MAF Pinout.jpg
MAF Pinout.jpg (80.34 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
2002 Avalanche 5.3L - MBRP Exhaust, RC 6in Lift
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Yes it's a 3 wire. I'm pretty good about rodents, but yes that's a good place to start looking at those grounds. Funny thing when I did start it I smelled something more than just cobwebs burning on the exhaust lol. I looked down to see if I had fried a mouse or rat on the collector tubes of the headers, but no luck, it looked clean lol.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Just noticed that the diagram you posted is for our 5 wire MAF sensor , but the MAP is a 3 wire plug. I'm gonna start looking for a compromised ground now, probably to the ECM since that's where it's getting its power from? Unless there might be other grounds going to the block for the Starter.
Thanks for any help gang.
Thanks
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

whoops, you said MAP, and I had a brain fart....no wonder I was confused...ha.

anyway, this is the L99/LS3 pinout, shows a low ref, and no direct ground, so ECM grounding would be the spot to check first.
map_jpg_bc21fd2494ff8a9cb4ce32ac5e2b1ba4e07a17f8.jpg
map_jpg_bc21fd2494ff8a9cb4ce32ac5e2b1ba4e07a17f8.jpg (72.19 KiB) Viewed 1106 times

Not sure if they are the same colors but the following is from my LM7 coolant temp sensor.

black=low reference
yellow=sensor signal
green=Cluster output

Edit: got curious and looked up the E38 ECM pinouts, looks like ECT low ref should be tan for the caprice not black
2014 Caprice PPV 6.0L - TSP Stage 1 Cam, Solo 3in Mach Cat Back, VCM OTR, Pedders Coilovers, HP Tuned
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

The 3 colored wires on my MAP are grey, orange/black (center wire) and a green. I finally ordered a new GM ECT sender along with a new pigtail. I trouble shot all the grounds along with voltage and Ohms, but what I found was the plug/pigtail was broken, we might of bumped it when we were pulling the heads off or something hit it. So I bought a new GM ECT just in case mine was off, come to find out the original one was more accurate at different temperatures when I tested them side by side, so I left the original one on the head. I think since the plug was cracked and literally crumbled in my hand when I unplugged it, it probably allowed the two pin connectors to short out with each other. So did all that and cleared the codes, but the scanner says P0106 is a "permanent " code. Even though it all checked out and runs fine? Maybe it'll take several cycles to have it removed?
Not sure, I'll check it again in a week or two.
BluesBro

Post by BluesBro »

Permanent codes should clear after a couple complete drive cycles.