DOD delete

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
amx1pxp

DOD delete

Post by amx1pxp »

So I'm finally getting ready to do the DOD delete on my car and figured I'd have a look at the factory service manual to get an idea of what kind of a job I'm going to be looking at. Under camshaft removal, manual says "step (1) remove engine."

Really? Seems most of you guys have not had to do that, though I can see where it may be worthwhile (especially for a guy like me with a bad back - the less time spent leaned of the engine compartment the better!). Anyway, I think I may need to replace the engine mounts which requires me to lift the engine.... which leads me to my next question, how do know when your mounts are bad? (I guess could put it in gear and with the brakes on, step on the gas - rather not go that route unless I have to.)

For what it's worth, I have a large shop with plenty of room, a lift and an engine hoist.
GammaFlat

Re: DOD delete

Post by GammaFlat »

Disclaimer - I have not done the DOD delete on my Caprice (yet).
The motor mounts are commonly bad. With mine, I could hold the brake and goose the gas a little and the engine would jump. You also might notice a clunk while driving it... most pronounced if you jump on from a standstill. If you remove the engine, I'd spend the money on new motor mounts, even if not bad yet. You might even consider the solid ones from Holden Parts: https://holdenpartsusa.com/products/tec ... -mount-set. - 300 bucks, but I don't think they'll ever fail. If you really want to cheap skate it, switch them. The driver side is taking all of the "pulling stress". The passenger side seems to not fail nearly as often.

In terms of engine removal, it's not required for camshaft change but you need to either open up your A/C system or "wire up" your a/c condensor over the driver's fender to get it out of the way (while still connected). If you change your oil pump (recommended and inexpensive) or you plan on fiddling with the oil bypass, you may want your oil pan down which is easier if the engine is out. I'm thinking that I'm pulling the engine (when I get to it) but I also have other plans ;) which require it. Also, if you are planning on using studs instead of bolts for your heads, it is a lot lot easier if the engine is out.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
amx1pxp

Re: DOD delete

Post by amx1pxp »

Thanks for the input. My thinking is about the same as yours..

Paul