Just back from new camshaft tuning Question

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Capeasy

Re: Just back from new camshaft tuning Question

Post by Capeasy »

Just read your posts and I am ready to swap out the cam in mine. I will probably use a Comp Cam instead which also supplies Texas with alot of their cams, I just wanted a greater selection than Texas speed offers. I did look at the specs to that stage 1 cam a while ago and it seemed a bit aggressive and I would probably need a looser converter to. Does it have a pretty noticeable lumpy tone at idle? Or pretty mild? And where did you notice the increase torque or power by the addition of the cam out of the hole or at all RPMs? And lastly how much did it affect your overall MPG?. Thanks
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

Capeasy wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:30 pm Just read your posts and I am ready to swap out the cam in mine. I will probably use a Comp Cam instead which also supplies Texas with alot of their cams, I just wanted a greater selection than Texas speed offers. I did look at the specs to that stage 1 cam a while ago and it seemed a bit aggressive and I would probably need a looser converter to. Does it have a pretty noticeable lumpy tone at idle? Or pretty mild? And where did you notice the increase torque or power by the addition of the cam out of the hole or at all RPMs? And lastly how much did it affect your overall MPG?. Thanks
Hello, since I did the swap in November, and I live in Ohio, and and I haven't put that many miles on the car since, I can't give you very specific answers to your questions, but can generally answer them. At idle the car will rock side to side mildly, and for my taste has just the right amount of lumpy idle. ( am a senior citizen so didn't want a ground pounder ) So far I would say the camshaft comes in to play more mid range, and have not tried the upper end yet, if am on the highway and accelerate to downshift, the car will pull hard and jump 30mph very quickly. Per mileage, around town the mileage is not great likely mid teens per gallon, on the highway it is surprisingly good 20mpg+ considering I deleted the AFM.

I hope this in some way answers your question, again, as a senior citizen I didn't want a real lumpy idle, nor was I going for the most gain I could get regards HP and torques, just wanted modest changes, to that end I am very satisfied, it's fun to see the reaction of young'ens as they hear the car, being a Holden, and not that many on the road they don't know what it is, the other day I was behind a Honda tuner with a turbo, he must've heard my exhaust, cause he took off at the light, I stayed right behind him, he accelerated, I did, the Caprice was on him like glue, he slowed down and changed lanes to make me pass him, I slowed down and cruised up along side grinning, the kid in the passenger seat looked at me with a surprised look, and if I read his lips right he said to his friend driving " it's an old guy!" LOL
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Right on ! I to am a senior (60) so I guess this is how we retire from the old days of street racing" Very discreetly " hahaha. I just worked our my cam specs and I want the power but wanna know my 6 grand in head work, cam, other mods was worth it when the cars idling. I'm keeping it quiet but ain't far from the cutout switch when I want to act like a teenager. Its all good.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

Capeasy wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:03 pm Right on ! I to am a senior (60) so I guess this is how we retire from the old days of street racing" Very discreetly " hahaha. I just worked our my cam specs and I want the power but wanna know my 6 grand in head work, cam, other mods was worth it when the cars idling. I'm keeping it quiet but ain't far from the cutout switch when I want to act like a teenager. Its all good.
Am open to suggestions on a good way to record the sound, and attach a file here, my cellphone takes good pictures but not much good on recording an engine sound, the poor microphone is overwhelmed.
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Yeah, a good smart phones the best I think, especially if you record a video and upload it to youtube. Maybe find a friend with a newer smart phone?
By the way did you do the cam swap in the car or did you pull the motor? My guy wants to pull the motor since we need to pull out the converter to have it sent out and increase it to a higher stall speed. When it's all said and done I'm still looking at high 6 grand for the whole job $$$
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

I've tried a couple of smartphones, the result was the same, I wasn't right at the tailpipe, maybe I should try different distances. I have a GoPro, I might try that, and yes, would upload it to YouTube.

I left the engine in the car, as I did not switch the stall converter. The biggest challenge in that method was re-installing the harmonic balancer. With an automatic transmission, the motor will rotate, I had to remove the starter, and use the flywheel to hold the motor in place, the books say torque the balancer to 245 foot lbs, which is crazy tight.

I can definitely see the advantages of removing the engine from the car, but I did mine, with no engine hoist so..I only did the camshaft, AFM delete, which came as a kit from Texas Speed,, new double sprung springs, guides, bolts, conversion gear, lifters, pushrods etc. and the Solo axle back exhaust, with Tune, I have less than $3k invested, you are doing a helluva lot more than I did!
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

6k is insane unless you’re getting an LSA in that bid.

Right or wrong, I just use two punches in the balancer holes with a large pry bar to hold it from rotating.
kevink

Post by kevink »

VintageIron41 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:09 pm I left the engine in the car, as I did not switch the stall converter. The biggest challenge in that method was re-installing the harmonic balancer. With an automatic transmission, the motor will rotate, I had to remove the starter, and use the flywheel to hold the motor in place, the books say torque the balancer to 245 foot lbs, which is crazy tight.
You can buy a flexplate holder tool for a couple bucks. They're well worth it.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

kevink wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:53 am
VintageIron41 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:09 pm I left the engine in the car, as I did not switch the stall converter. The biggest challenge in that method was re-installing the harmonic balancer. With an automatic transmission, the motor will rotate, I had to remove the starter, and use the flywheel to hold the motor in place, the books say torque the balancer to 245 foot lbs, which is crazy tight.
You can buy a flexplate holder tool for a couple bucks. They're well worth it.
Yeah the holder tool bolts into block, way better plan than holding the balancer that is not actually pinned to the crank, you can spin it doing that.....
VintageIron41

Post by VintageIron41 »

Capeasy wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:03 pm Right on ! I to am a senior (60) so I guess this is how we retire from the old days of street racing" Very discreetly " hahaha. I just worked our my cam specs and I want the power but wanna know my 6 grand in head work, cam, other mods was worth it when the cars idling. I'm keeping it quiet but ain't far from the cutout switch when I want to act like a teenager. Its all good.
https://youtu.be/_fMup1CEvA0

I made a short video/audio today with the Go Pro, hey not a pro, don't judge too harshly :)