Smog (California Specific)

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Lord Vader

Re: Smog

Post by Lord Vader »

I'm wondering if a good tuner could write the information the smog test machines are looking for into the ECM after some changes were made, like the DOD removal.

There are a lot of DOD cars and trucks out there...
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Yea tons of truck guys are in the same boat as us.

Coming at it from a CARB approved tune there are currently 2 manufactures that offer a tune that is CARB approved for after you delete the DOD system. Problem is they are part of an engine rebuilding kit and technically you cannot use the tune unless you use the exact kit they provide. How they will prove that I do not know.

Jasper Engines sells a rebuilt L77/L76 with dod deleted and a Diablo tuner comes with it to install a ECM file that the CARB will Recognize and pass as long as it is not modified.

Livernois Motorsports sells a DOD delete kit that comes with thier propriety tuner that installs the file. $1000.00 - Horsepower improvement - Zero. Thats a hard pill to swallow.

For folks who have already done a DOD. I have been thinking it might be possible to go through the Engine Change process with the State Referee. What you would do is see if your car would run on one of GM's Standard ECU files for engines that do not have DOD. So basically any car that came with the 6.0 LS3. So you would install that ECU file and tell the Ref you did an engine change. You would have to get a GM dealer to confirm that all the Emission control equipment are present in form from the donor car and that the ECU files are the most up to date. You would then go to the Ref and they would do a test of the OBD system and a tailpipe emission test comparing it to the actual standards of the donor car. You would then get a Referee sticker and all future SMOGs would be done off that ID number as opposed to your VIN. I am not sure how this would go down as you would be applying for an engine change and not actually changing out the engine. Not sure if the Ref process looks at the engine stamping on the block to ID the actual engine in the car, but I think it might. But would they make an exception for this becase basically when you swap out the camshaft and delete the DOD system are you not just creating a standard LS3 engine? But of course the cam you have installed would have to work well with the factory tune of a LS3 vehicle, and I know most folks choose a real chopper of a cam when they do this!! LOL
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Lord Vader wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:32 pm I'm wondering if a good tuner could write the information the smog test machines are looking for into the ECM after some changes were made, like the DOD removal.
The speculation is yes it can be done. But of course it would be a federal offence so do not expect to see any advertisements for it!!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I think CA guys are going to have a heck of a time. To pass emissions the state is going to make sure you do not have your check engine light on and that your CVN Checksum in the ECM matches the factory "tune". The CVN Checksum is a calculated value in the ECM so if any value is changed from the factory then it will be different and cause you to fail. E.g. you turn of DOD the checksum would be different and you would fail. Your factory CVN Checksum can be found here: https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web You can check it in HPTuners or a scantool to verify it is the same. You would have to flash back to stock to go back to the same CVN.

I think Steve's post is going to be the only way to get around it. Because the CVN is calculated at least once per drive cycle someone deliberately attempting to alter it would need to change enough other parameters for the CVN to be calculated correctly. You would have to reverse engineer the algorithm that calculates it. Or you would have to figure out a way to manually enter the CVN and then defeat the calculation algorithm. Either way would be against EPA regulations and no USA mainstream auto tuner/programmer is going to do it.

I think if I lived in CA I would create a business, make it legal on paper, put the car in the business name, have the business rent the car to myself, and plate it in Maine or Delaware. If you get stopped the car would be titled and registered to the business as a company vehicle. Would probably need to consult with a CA lawyer on the legality of all this. LOL.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

It's going to be a mess for sure. The historical problem is stupid things like this in California eventually spread to other states. Thank you all for the ideas, options, and education. Too bad I just bought a take-out LS3 cam that I guess I'll make a lamp out of now.
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

So this is interesting. I went to the website in bstoner's post and put my info in. Under CVN is says "unknown". Now what California??
Attachments
CVN.JPG
CVN.JPG (159.69 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Never mind, I selected the wrong options during the search...
amx1pxp

Post by amx1pxp »

Wow... still trying to absorb all of this..

In a nutshell, it sounds as if those of us here in CA are screwed. Anybody living in Gavin's world (don't blame me - I voted to toss him overboard) with DOD deleted try to get a smog yet, and if so, what happened? Mine is not due until March of '23.

If it's as bad as it seems I may have to unload this thing (2012 9C1, Hugo Blue, with factory carpet!). Lived here all my life. I've had it with this place...
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Well if you are really curios head down to a smog station and get your smog done now just ask for "No certificate" and see what happens.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
amx1pxp

Post by amx1pxp »

My DOD isn't deleted - yet. Assume anyone who's tried and failed a smog after deleting DOD will chime in. In the meantime, I'm going to hold off for now. Was just getting ready to dive into it. Glad I read this post again.