Smog (California Specific)

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Smog

Post by smwalker »

What do you think of using the Livernois kit with the CARB Legal tune?

Trying to avoid it? LOL
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
amx1pxp

Post by amx1pxp »

No, not yet. $1000 is a bitter pill, as you say. Ask me in another year when my back's against the wall and I may have another point of view. In the meantime, I'm going to focus on other parts of the car I've been wanting to work on and hope you smart guys come up with a way to deal with this!
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

If it was me I would title the vehicle in a business name in another state and lease it to myself. If the vehicle was strictly an off-road vehicle and emissions exempt I would contact a programmer in Europe to program a fixed CVN number and turn off the checksum so it will not be recalulated and changed. The EPA does not allow this for on-road vehicles as they use the CVN number to verify the vehicle has the correct factory calibration. Before the EPA cracked down you use to be able to do this with EFILive on the older ECMs.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
amx1pxp

Post by amx1pxp »

Were you referring to this Steve?

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP802116

I thought the Livernois deal was just the 50 state tune. My bad. Since it gives me all the hardware I guess I could choke that pill down!!

Any reason I could not go with the Livernois CARB tune, get the car smogged, then install a performance tune once the smog was done, then every two years, wash, rinse, repeat? (no comment necessary on the legality of it all).
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

I would contact the Carb Board to verify what tunes are approved for your vehicle. The tuner may be 50 state legal but the tune has to be as well.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Not sure if I can post this or not, but this guy passed smog with a completely different engine in his car. There's a picture of the smog test that shows it wasn't a referee test. DOD delete and all:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto ... 30489.html

I'd really like to talk to him...
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I think that is Jeff from the OC he usually lists his from Lake Forrest. I will try him on FB.

He did put up a post up about it.

Not knowing what his tuner did to the Calibration ID or Checksum. But it seems maybe the BAR did not have enough data on our cars to make a determination of what the factory file should look like. So they have no rule to fail for our cars?
All I can think of.

His Post:
cap smog.png
cap smog.png (343.64 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Yeah, I think that's the guy.

This might be good news.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Unless he found some loophole of an out of state car not getting the tune looked at?

Need someone with a current CA car and a tune to try it!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader »

Hmmm. That is interesting.